[ztebladeopensource] 答复: [ztebladeopensource] Re: About Flash Lock

  • From: xiebin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:10:01 +0800

Hi, Robert
        It is a requirement from a Mobile Operator.  They put many their
services on our handset. So they hope user to use their service and can
not remove it. I heard Huawei has realize this function in his IDEOS
series. So we just ask if this info is correct.
        "It has been noticed that some of the newer Orange San Francisco
phones have had the ability to get into the Bootloader by holding down Vol
+ when powering on removed, is this a first step towards it? "
        No. it is nothing with it. Flash lock will only used in few
countries which is mandatory by mobile operator. We will always be open.
We appreciate your work and will always support you.

Regards
xiebin

Robert Morgan <robertmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
发件人:  ztebladeopensource-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011-03-03 15:54
请答复 给
ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

收件人
<ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>
抄送

主题
[ztebladeopensource] Re: About Flash Lock

Hi Ben, why do you ask?

Manufacturers such as Motorola (except in the US!) sometimes lock the
flahs on their phones so that custom ROMs cannot be loaded, however this
approach is flawed for a number of reasons...

1. There is no real need to prevent people doing what they want with their
own property
2. It's generally fixing a problem that doesn't exist, unless there are
huge numbers of people returning phones which they have broken, why bother
(and if they are returning phones that they have broken then they either
wont be covered by warranty or will be easily fixed using manufacturer
flashing tools).
3. Hackers generally find a way around any security anyway so why would a
manufacturer increase their costs (losing competitive edge) by
implementing such a thing
4. It makes the phones less popular, people will simply move to the next
new manufacturer who doesn't lock their phones.

It has been noticed that some of the newer Orange San Francisco phones
have had the ability to get into the Bootloader by holding down Vol + when
powering on removed, is this a first step towards it?  If so I hope that
ZTE will reconsider this move, the whole point of Android is that it's
open to encourage innovation, just look at the Blade now, we already have
Gingerbread running on it and there is even a Honeycomb port up and
running, this is all great news for ZTE!

Regards
Rob

To: sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ztebladeopensource] About Flash Lock
From: ying.ben@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:20:02 +0800

Hi guys, is there anybody know Flash Lock?

That means smartphone with locked ROM, and users cannot flash their
smartphone with customized rom?
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is
solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is
confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and
are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to
others.
If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of
the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam
system.