[yshavurah] Re: [yshavurah]pledge

  • From: "Elliot Gaines, Ph.D." <elliot.gaines@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Clevineys@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:46:46 -0400

Hi All,
        I use the term "symbol" as it is defined semiotically without value
judgment.  All non reflective behaviors are questionable (an
oxymoron--to question something that is not to be questioned!).  The
same problem exists in religious ritual as Johanna suggested.  Pledging
allegiance to something is simultaneously pledging allegiance against
something.  It has the potential to construct an identity based upon
difference.  Isn't this the foundation of xenophobia.  The pledge is
intended to indoctrinate young impressionable minds.  "... and to the
republic for which it stands."  Isn't this a gross over-simplification
considering that the flag and the nation can symbolically stand for
different things to many different people?  Implicit in the pledge is a
loyalty that can be called upon in the name of patriotism.  Did anyone
see Susan Sontag on NIGHTLINE just after 9/11?  She was accused of being
a communist and worse ( a bleeding heart liberal) because she wanted to
reflect upon the possible reasons for this insane violence.  SHe
suggested that because the "enemy" was not one specific nation, the
ideology that instigated the violence needed to be understood.  She was
agressively condemned as a traitor because she dared to stop and
question the rush to arms:  lets bomb whoever we can target, as long as
it makes a clear statement that the US will fight back, quickly,
decisively, even if it is not intelligent.  Those of us who are cynical
recognize that the military was actively trying to promote a war in
Afganastan for more than 10 years (while the US still ignores the
obvious threat within Suadi Arabia).
        I should avoid this kind of dialogue, but it is part of my field.
Semiotcs defines symbols as arbitrary and necessarily ambiguous.
Symbols mean what people decide they mean.  There is no natural order to
the meanings associated with symbolic words or rituals.  Historically,
symbols like the pledge have been used to ensure conformity imposed by
those in power to exploit those who do not see the broader implications
and complexities behind these processes.  Look at the patriots who
marched off to Viet Nam to fight communism.  The kind of patriotism the
"pledge" promotes should be questioned.