[yshavurah] FW: Quote of the Week

  • From: Eric Friedland <efriedland@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ys havurah <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 06:52:03 -0500

----------
From: JTSA Distance Learning Project <dlp@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:00:21 -0500 (EST)
To: efriedland@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Quote of the Week

Quote of the Week
 is brought to you by The Jewish Theological Seminary of America

Q U O T E   O F   T H E   W E E K

The major question, which we must ponder on
Hanukkah, is whether the Jewish people can
develop an identity that will enable it to
meet the outside world without feeling
threatened or intimidated. The choice,
hopefully, need not be ghettoization or
assimilation. We can absorb from others
without being smothered. We can appreciate
and assimilate that which derives from
"foreign" sources and at the same time feel
firmly anchored to our particular frame of
reference.

    Rabbi David Hartman,
    "The Courage to Put our Jewish Lights in
    the Front Window,"
    From A Different Light: The Hanukkah Book of
    Celebration,
    edited by Noam Zion and Barbara Spectre

Learn more at learn@jts
  http://learn.jtsa.edu/topics/quote/

Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Jewish Theological Seminary of America

-
Light Shabbat candles Friday, December 26 at 5:00
in the Dayton, OH area.
Shabbat ends at 6:09 on Saturday, December 27.
(Your communal custom may vary, so confirm with a rabbi or other resource).

-
Send this to a friend.  Please feel free to share this message with
anyone else who may be interested in it or any other material on
http://learn.jtsa.edu/.  Thank you.

If you have received this from a friend and are interested in joining
this free email list, please visit http://learn.jtsa.edu/membership/
We offer more than 20 free email lists.

-
If your e-mail address is efriedland@xxxxxxxxxx, then
you received this mailing from JTS because you signed up for it.
You can change your options for our site:
To sign up for *More* mailings from Learn@JTS, click on:
http://learn.jtsa.edu/cgi-bin/login.cgi?username=benzip&thru=1
To stop receiving the Quote of the Week mailing, follow this link:
http://learn.jtsa.edu/cgi-bin/can.cgi?sid=benzip&l=Quotes&h=Ycz
To stop receiving *All* mailings from Learn@JTS, follow this link:
http://learn.jtsa.edu/cgi-bin/del.cgi?sid=benzip&h=Ycz