[yshavurah] An Unusual Request

  • From: "Cheryl Levine" <clevineys@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Havurah Listserv" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:46:29 -0500

Dear Friends,
I don't know if the following request is appropriate for the list, but I
thought I'd ask you to review this and see what you think.  I'm really blown
away by the song and believe in music's power to reach people.  I see a lot of
sexually traumatized children in my practice and the issue means a lot to me.
The songwriter is Jewish and a friend who is very gifted.   Let me know what
you think.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Dear List,

In anticipation of April as National Child Abuse Awareness Month, I am aware of
a unique way that we can heighten public awareness of the problem of child
sexual abuse.  Dayton, Ohio singer/songwriter Jayne Sachs has recently entered
the international John Lennon Songwriting Contest with her original piece,
"Twisted Ballerina."  In short, the song is a portrayal of the sexual abuse of
a young child, and while it can be disturbing to hear, I believe the song has
the potential to be an incredible tool for raising awareness about this
terrible problem.  As you may remember, Suzanne Vega achieved this kind of
public awareness regarding domestic violence and the physical abuse of a young
child with her well-publicized song, Luka.  I believe that Sach's song has that
kind of potential.

If you are willing, and agree that awareness is an important precursor to
prevention, I'd appreciate it if you would check out her song at the link,
http://www.jlsc.com/vote.php.  If you are impressed the way I am, please vote
for the song-if "Twisted Ballerina" wins this on-line portion of the contest,
her song could actually end up on the airways. The voting is simple and
requires just a few steps to ensure that there are no ballet box stuffers.
Check out the song and see what you think.  Who would have thought that help
for issues like child abuse could come from unexpected places like a pop song?

Thanks,

Cheryl