[YAMos-dev] Re: YAM for MOS

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:16:14PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> I personally think it's nicer if it works without stub libraries, since
> Amiga compilers (such as SAS/C) didn't need them also.

  There are more compilers besides SAS/C and the ability to call varargs
  functions inline did appear with SAS/C 6. Before that version you needed
  linker libraries with SAS/C too.

> However there may be reasons against that of which I'm not aware now.

  It depends on how exactly the inlining is done. The SAS/C way doesn't
  require much stack space. However, the PPC inlines use (used?) a structure
  on stack for the OS-call. This structure is allocated for every (!) call
  and that might use plenty of stackspace. The same problem have the the
  PPC/68k varargs inlines since they use an array on the stack for every
  used function. The array is allocated at function (!) entry and if you
  have a lot of such calls you will waste lots of stackspace.

  Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinski