[YAMos-dev] Re: Start numbering

Hello all,

On 08/26/2007, you wrote:

> My comment was sarcastic of course, I'll never add such chapter.
> However, someone WILL have to explain why a window numbered "1" in the
> GUI will now have to be referred as a different number when using the
> ARexx interface. In the end you create more and more inconsistencies
> just to satisfy a request from a guy, be it someone else or yourself,
> neither thinking much about the consequences. People are forced to add
> more and more IFs to their scripts as YAM development goes, so
> eventually nobody will bother writing one. In fact I think we have
> reached this point already.

Why more if's for this change? ARexx scripts are blind; they don't see
what number is displayed in the window drag bar. The only people likely
to be confused may be an inexperienced ARexx programmer who is testing a
script and hasn't already learned that programmers start counting at 0,
and users start counting at 1.

> But of course now you will counter-argument by asking where are those
> many ARexx scripts anyway, claiming the user base is less and less
> every day and so on, and then I'd have to ask why you bother with YAM
> in the first place. Then you call me unprofessional for saying what I
> think, and I have to shut up for the nth time out of respect for
> everyone else and because I still care for something that I dislike
> more and more every week.

Well, the user base IS shrinking and my personal conclusion about the
direction of YAM developement is that it's really aimed at eventual porting
to another operating system. (non-Amiga) In my view this particular
difference of opinion falls into the "nit-pick" category if carried much
further.

> However, should I have overseen something you are of course requested
> to proof me wrong or give me arguments that will convince me that the
> previous window title numbering should be restored. But regularly
> bashing at me and the general roadmap/work on YAM will just give me the
> impression that you are probably too burned out and biased so that you
> should perhaps take a rest or resign from working in our team.

Everyone has a different sense of importance about every issue. That makes
it difficult to determine if the intensity of an objection is justified or
not. Either way, how about identifying the windows alphabetically (windows
A, B, C, D) and eliminate the possibility of numerical confusion?

Regards,
--
Jeff