[YAMos-dev] Re: Recent development issues

David Rey schrieb:

Besides, Jens never proposes anything here, he just goes and does it. He
has good and bad reasons for that - before you joined, he was the only
active developer anyway, but OTOH this should change now. It would be
unrealistic to expect him to ask me before adding the next feature, but
OTOH he should consult you. If possible, using this mailing list. But hey,
who I am to say...

You are an official developer of YAM. Whether you code or write documentation does not matter. Don't treat yourself as the unworthy slave who "just" does the docs. Having proper documentation is equal important as having a bug free program, if not even more important. What is a program's worth if nobody knows how to use it?

You don't have to translate the license, only everything in the About window
that is subject to translation. That's everything but names. Even "General
Public License" should be translated, because I doubt you would refer to it
that way if you were to describe it to e.g. your father. And *I* for a change
would want my father to be able to use YAM one day.

Well, the thing is named "GNU General Public License", no matter what language you speak. From my point of view there is nothing to be translated. Just like the developer's and contributer's names. Some things simply cannot be translated. If you google for "öffentliche GNU lizenz" (a rough german translation) you will definitely find some results, but they all refer to the english name. There are several other non-translatable names which nobody would even try to translate, else New York would become Neu York or a Ford Mustang would become a Ford Wildpferd. Quite funny, but without real meaning. If something has an english name, then better leave its english name instead of violating it to a far less meaningful native name.

--
Thore Böckelmann
Paderborn, Germany