[YAMos-dev] Re: New TCP/IP code is broken

Hi,

On 02-Jul-02, Jens Langner wrote:

> You should imagine yourself that with this short information I really
> cannot track down the problem and I can only highly urge you to start
> YAM with "DEBUG" in the command line and see what the pop3 server is
> doing out there.

The error message is exactly the same in the debug output too. It logs
in correctly, asks for STAT, LIST, and when YAM sends UIDL, it replies
the error message i already sent here...

> Also include the exact version/type of the POP3 server you are connecting
> at.

POP3D, version 1.004. The server (scenergy.dfmk.hu) is an old SuSE Linux
6.4, with some updates, on a small 486 machine, but it has over 30 users,
using a huge range of mail clients, and no one ever told me about
problems with the POP3 service. I'll update it if it's really necessary,
but i think a server update would be a workaround, not a fix, since it
worked fine until now.

> By looking at your error message it only seems right that YAM reponses
> with an error, because your POP3 server doesn`t seem to support UIDL.

Yes, this is the case.

> But I am not sure right now if this is really necessary of if we can
> simply skip the UIDL, but then some features for YAM wouldn`t work for
> you

For example, which features? Why this wasn't a problem until now?

> and we should perhaps remind the user of that fact in such a case.
> So please debug further and I will check the RFCs again ;)

Here comes the complete DEBUG output of an unsuccessful mail-fetch
procedure:

SERVER: +OK scenergy POP3 Server (Version 1.004) ready.
CLIENT: USER charlie
SERVER: +OK please send PASS command
CLIENT: PASS mypassword
SERVER: +OK 1 messages ready for charlie in /var/spool/mail/charlie
CLIENT: STAT
SERVER: +OK 1 1180
CLIENT: LIST
SERVER: +OK 1 messages; msg# and size (in octets) for undeleted messages:
SERVER: 1 1180
SERVER: .
CLIENT: UIDL
SERVER: -ERR Invalid command; valid commands:  DELE, HOST, LAST, LIST,
MBOX, NOOP, RETR, RSET, STAT, TOP  or  QUIT

Same procedure with the old code (compiled on 02.06.29 by me):

SERVER: +OK scenergy POP3 Server (Version 1.004) ready.
CLIENT: USER charlie
SERVER: +OK please send PASS command
CLIENT: PASS mypassword
SERVER: +OK 2 messages ready for charlie in /var/spool/mail/charlie
CLIENT: STAT
SERVER: +OK 2 5056
CLIENT: LIST
SERVER: +OK 2 messages; msg# and size (in octets) for undeleted messages:
SERVER: 1 1180
2 3876
.
CLIENT: UIDL
SERVER: -ERR Invalid command; valid commands:  DELE, HOST, LAST, LIST,
MBOX, NOOP, RETR, RSET, STAT, TOP  or  QUIT
CLIENT: TOP 1 1
SERVER: +OK message 1 (1180 octets):

And so it fetches my mails without problems. As you can see the error is
still here, but YAM ignored it.

> And please report also if you think that there is a speed
> increase/decrease or something like that.

Yeah, it's faster... It f*cks up everything faster... ;] Just kidding.
Since i'm currently not able to fetch mail from my mailbox with the
new code, i can't test the speed of it. Ofcoz' i could modify the
src-s to have UIDL skipped, but now i'm goin' back to sleep... ;)

Anyway, sorry for the first low-end bug report, but i worked over
16 hours yesterday, and my brain was in suspend mode... Hope this
report is better, and good enuff for ya. :)

Bye,
--
Charlie/iNQ
[.wanna.touch.diz?..amiga4000t.os31.68060/66.128mb.scsi.picassoIV.]