[YAMos-dev] Re: New TCP/IP code is broken

Hi Karoly (Charlie/iNQ),

On 02-Jul-02  Balogh, Karoly (Charlie/iNQ) (charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> The new TCP/IP code in YAM seems broken. It fails when fetching new
> mails via POP3. I got the following error:
>
> Bad UIDL command response: -ERR Invalid command; valid commands:
> DELE, HOST, LAST, LIST, MBOX, NOOP, RETR, RSET, STAT, TOP  or  QUIT
> The mail server couldn't execute the command and replied with the
> error message.
>
> The server is a Linux server with some kind of POP3 daemon, AFAIR
> with qpopper. Worked well until now.
>
> Sending via SMTP seems OK.

I hope that I can say that I am really disappointed about seeing such a bad
error report from a developer in this list. You should imagine yourself that
with this short information I really cannot track down the problem and I can
only highly urge you to start YAM with "DEBUG" in the command line and see
what the pop3 server is doing out there. And if you encounter any problem
then please send me this debug output of the TCP connection via mail so that
I can check it.
Also include the exact version/type of the POP3 server you are connecting at.
By looking at your error message it only seems right that YAM reponses with
an error, because your POP3 server doesn`t seem to support UIDL. But I am
not sure right now if this is really necessary of if we can simply skip the
UIDL, but then some features for YAM wouldn`t work for you and we should
perhaps remind the user of that fact in such a case.
So please debug further and I will check the RFCs again ;)

And please report also if you think that there is a speed increase/decrease
or something like that.

cheers,

jens
--
Jens Langner                                               Ph: +61-7-3844-1165
11 Marly Street

A recent study has found that concentrating on difficult off-screen objects,
such as the faces of loved ones,
causes eye strain in computer scientists.  Researchers into the phenomenon cite
the added concentration needed
to "make sense" of such unnatural three dimensional objects...
-- Unknown