Re: netbooks, keyboards, old-fashioned Xy4 DOS

  • From: V Ghyoot <vghyoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 02:15:02 +0200

I have ditched the wonderful but clunky Maxi Switch 124 Key
Programmable keyboard, with function keys at top and left, in favour
of a BTC ultra-slim multimedia keyboard. It is thin and light, with
laptop-like key action, but with full size keys. The 6300c version
allows reprogramming of the multimedia keys along the top. The
keyboard is described at
http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-25keyboard.htm. However, the 6300c
is scarce and I had to obtain it from Holland. Its reprogramming
software is free at the BTC web site, but is quirky and hard to trace.
Unless you really want the reprogrammable multimedia keys of the
6300c, there should be other light keyboards that are easier to
obtain.

For remapping, I use Tradekeys, first published in PC Magazine, but
now sold at $7.97. It may de downloaded from
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,19645,00.asp. Alternatively,
Remapkey.exe is part of Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools,
downloadable free from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en.
Remapkey is easy to use--it has a keyboard layout similar to that in
the XY keyboard file and you simply drag any key to where you want it
remapped. It is the simplest remapper I have seen.

Valmond Ghyoot