Re: death to word

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:20:29 -0400

I miss very much the fully scaleable  type setting commands in Xy.

The <SZznn> mode still works as before.

And I've forgotten how to turn a XY4 file into a .pdf.

One way is to use PDFCreator. It's freeware.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/files/latest/download

I have done that (requires setting something like LPT4 to a Postscript or Ghostscript .prn file in Settings.dfl) had difficulties this time.

Easier is to use Adobe's online conversion facility. It's free for 4 times (I think).
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm?nf=1&nl=1

To use this, you need an .rtf version of your file. To get this, either open the file in NB and Save As rtf or on in Xy4 on the command line execute:
func SH

That should show the a la Carte help file menu across the top. Make sure "File" is highlighted and cursor down to give a file name and make the type one of the Microsoft rich text format type, and give it an extension in the extension field of .rtf -- that is the file you will send up to Adobe online for coversion.

The resulting PDF doesn't look great onscreen, but it prints fine from Adobe reader. (if it tries to print to a .prn file, you have to uncheck somewhere, I forget where, "print to file."). I just found that in Adobe reader, you can make it look good onscreen by right clicking the document, choosing Page Display Preferences, and setting it to Use System Settings.

Could be easier, but there it is.