Re: copying & pasting between XY and MS

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:33:35 -0400

It is kind of personal, but at least two things I prefer about fullscreen:
1) Serifs--easier to read. Now, if I could get a serifed font in Xy4 or some
other way, I'm game.

You can get a great screen with TameDos for XyWrite. See www.tamedos.com and my screenshot at: http://www.hblist.com/Tame-Xy.jpg

Note the ability to show italics, underlining, and boldface (there's also strikethrough). And I've got it showing 43 lines. TameDos is sometimes hard to get working right, sometimes not. There's zero support, except from some of us here.

> Why is the copy to A: even involved? Why not go straight from C:?

It just doesn't work straight from C:

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you tell us more, I'm sure we can make it work quite easily. But the real way to go is through U2's CLIPW. Carl says there's a version that works with Xy3. But Xy4 is a great improvement over Xy3, with almost no learning curve required. Once you have CLIPW working, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

> >But coming out of my cozy cave, I see that these new-fangled computers
> >don't do floppies. And so the only way to copy/paste from Xy to email is
> >to use the mark-copy-paste technique in Xy on windows.
>
> Why? You seem to say that Outlook will import text files, and that's what
> Xy files are.

I don't know if I quite understand your answer, but the Outlook importing
works only from a floppy (at least on my ME). If no floppy's available on a
newer computer, then I imagine I'd have to do the cumbersome mark/copy/paste
method.

This floppy vs. C: thing is some sort of misunderstanding. It can't be that it needs to read a floppy to work. We need more info on what's going on in your attempts.

Using Outlook's Insert/File does work fine--no arrows or strange characters
(and only one box at the very end, as you say). But again, on my current
set-up I can do that only from an A: floppy. Does Outlook Insert/File work
on an XP without a floppy? If so, great.

I don't know enough about Outlook to get it to work here--I could only get the file added as an attachment. Is that what you had or wanted? But it would greatly surprise me if XP vs. ME made any difference.

>>3) No scrolling while copying allowed:
>>Using the mark-copy-paste method for XY to email (and this problem is on
>>ME as well as XP) you can only "mark" a page (22 lines on my system) at a
>>time. In full-screen Xy, you can copy and scroll at the same time (but of
>>course copy/paste only within Xy). Is there anyway to avoid this?

Actually, now that I've tried this, I get the same results as you, so this is not the way to go. If in Outlook Insert/File works for you without bad characters, let's get that working without needing A: unless you're willing to get CLIPW working.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx