Re: XyWrite and Windows 7

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:50:47 +0000

I seem to be running fine with Win 7 32-bit 'Ultimate', whatever that means. Cannot do full-screen, but as I recall could not do that on Vista either - - maybe some limitation with my Dell 1720? I run it either from an old shortcut or just invoke editor.exe. Either way, it loads with the window settings I had from Vista. I haven't yet tried customizing any of the settings - - so far, my CPU usage is pretty low.

Say what you like about MS, its commitment to making 20-year-old programs workable stands in sterling contrast to Apple's efforts to make all 3-year-old programs unusable - - not to mention all 3-year-old hardware. What a bunch of cheapskates! We all know that Gates gives away billions - - but how many know that Steve Jobs has given away all of a few thousand? Archive.org has the scoop with 'The Complete Book of Steve Jobs['s] Philanthropy.'

I liked Vista and I have a reasonably powerful laptop. But Windows 7 is quite noticeably snappier. Now if only I could dual boot with a nice version of OS X, say Tiger, on this Dell! Apparently it can be done but I have been daunted by the research.