Re: XY4 in Win7-64

  • From: Jon P <xywrite4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:20:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have installed Virtual PC 2007 and a DOS machine (6.22) inside that, along
with the dosadds virtual disk.

I have added my C:\XY directory as a shared folder called drive X:

When DOS loads a C:> prompt I change directory to X: and then run editor.exe
(XY4).  Startup.int and Settings.DFL are the portable versions.

XY4 takes many, many long minutes to load, and sometimes it just hangs. Doing
something as formerly instantaneous as calling a file or using the thesaurus
hangs again, though it eventually gets there.

I suspect it has something to do with the paths to Startup, Settings and the
thesaurus, but I don't quite understand how paths work within Virtual PC.

So a couple of questions:
1) How do you load your XY into the Virtual PC DOS window?
2) What paths are in your STARTUP.INT and SETTINGS.DFL files? I'll try
hard-coding them again in case that's what's hanging up Virtual PC, but I don't
know whether they should be C:\XY or C:\X or something else.

Any help appreciated.

Incidentally, besides the CLIP.EXE problem, DOSBox gets fuzzy type when I use
my larger window (though it's sharp again in "fullresolution" 1024 x 768.

Thanks to all.

Jon Pareles