Re: XY4 in Win7-64

  • From: "William H. TeBrake" <tebrake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:01:48 -0400

On 7/30/2012 12:38 AM, J R FOX wrote:
Hi William, What level of CPU horsepower does this for you, with no discernible performance penalty ? At the moment, I don't have anything here that is faster than a good old dual core, the Q9500 perhaps being the most powerful of the lot. It might accommodate 8 Gig. of RAM -- I'd have to check. Some of the other systems max out at 4, even if they happen to be 64 bit-OS capable. (I'm not really looking to upgrade the hardware anytime soon.) Good to know there are these other options: VMWare or DOSbox. Jordan

Jordan,

I have both Win XP and Linux Ubuntu running within UMWare Player on my Win 7 (64 bit) machine with 8 gigs of memory. But, just for the fun of it, I also loaded VMWare Player on my slowly aging Win XP laptop with 2 gigs of memory, and Ubuntu runs quite well within that space. You should be able to run something like DOS or Win 3.1 within 512 megs or less within VMWare. Give it a try. It's free for the Player edition, and it uninstalls quite cleanly if you don't like. I did dual booting in the past, between Windows and OS/2, but I like the VMWare approach because it just seems to work for me without having to reboot.

Harry,

You asked about using Dropbox between the host machine and the client machine within VMWare Player. Yes, both host and client have the Dropbox application installed and both sync with the Dropbox cloud server. On the other hand, it often is just as easy to simply drag and drop between the two or cut and paste.

Best regards,

Bill

UMaine History, Emeritus