Re: XY4 in Win7-64

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:24:40 -0400

I see that Parallels, which gives me a virtual PC the Mac, makes something that does virtual machines for windows: Parallels Workstation. It may be better (or worse) than VMware. The Parallels on my Mac is pretty damn intuitive. I used VPC when it was still a non-MS product, and though it ran well, it is nowhere near as clean and intuitive as Parallels (for Mac).

I run TameDOS to get a nice 43-line window, with scaleable fonts. It's too bad that TameDOS is so quirky and unsupported, because once you get it tweaked it's fantastic for Xy.

Still, I am also getting to know NB, which is the future.

>The challenge for me will be getting Xy to run
full-screen, as windowed Xy doesn't cut it for me. I wonder if XP or
an earlier version of Windows can even do that in a 64-bit
environment.

With VPC you could change the host resolution to VGA and switch to VPC full screen. Not the most elegant solution, but feasible.

On the other hand, Win 3.1 DOS boxes offer a modern crisp view of Xy and can be made to fill almost the whole screen. I am perfectly happy with them. Win 3.1 DOS boxes are better integrated with Windows than any other later variety.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx