Re: Was OT--Win7 and disk partitions; now using Linux

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:37:15 -0400

Thanks, Paul.

--Harry

On 03/20/2010 08:30 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:

XyWrite will work OK under Linux in Dosbox and Dosemu,

Pardon me if this has been asked and answered, but does this mean one can run Xy on the *nix part of a Mac (in Terminal)? Just curious, I'm fairly happy with Xy in an XP VM under Parallels.

The Dosemu howto (dated 2003) says:

"Dosemu is primarily written for Linux. At one time it also worked on NetBSD and possibly FreeBSD, however the graphics emulation was unlikely to work on NetBSD, which means that all DOS programs that use graphics mode (most DOS programs) did not work under NetBSD."

In any case, I assume you'd have to take the BSD port and compile it for OSX. It's my understanding that the BSD port is not current.

As for Dosbox, from what I've experienced and read, it's a bit of a high-walled sand box. You can run XyWrite on it, but in Linux Dosemu is a superior choice. And Dosemu in Linux is usually Xdosemu these days; it's not run from a terminal but in an X window of its own. Dosemu in a terminal (or from a command-line Linux setup) behaves differently, and makes XyWrite quirky.

Paul Lagasse

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx