Re: VMWare Player (was XY4 in Win7-64)

  • From: "William H. TeBrake" <tebrake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 16:29:06 -0400

Jordan,

My laptop is an older, moderate dual-core machine running Win XP (sp3), and VMWare Player does seem to work OK. To be honest, however, I haven't really used the virtual Linux client on that machine very much: just an experiment to see if it could be done with only 2 gigs or memory, and it can. If VMWare Player didn't work for me, I was planning on trying VirtualBox, but, since it worked, I haven't done that. As far as eCS (OS/2) is concerned, as near as I can tell, after a very brief search, it should work, as long as you have an installation disk or an image (iso) file. See, for example:

Best regards,

Bill TeBrake

On 8/2/2012 2:21 PM, J R FOX wrote:

William,

Depending on which computer we're talking about, I have anywhere
from 3.5 G. to 8G. of RAM installed.  My question was more about
the power of the CPU.  That also affects VM performance -- a lot.
In these days of i3 / i5 / i7, I'm well behind the curve with
the older, moderate dual-cores.  (AMD x2 Athlons, or their Intel
contemporaries.)

After reading various comments here, I'm leaning towards this
VMware Player, rather than Virtual PC or the others.  (No one
mentioned VirtualBox . . . . )

I had been a proponent of dual-boot setups, but XP seems to have
just bugged out on my main laptop.  It goes off to a black screen
La-La Land at bootup.  I know it's not the hardware, because the
alternate boot -- eCS -- is still working fine.  So, I'm looking
at an XP "repair install", and hoping this won't lose all the
updates and security fixes etc. etc. accumulated over the last
few years.  I think that is claimed to be the case (?), but I've
never tried it.  The VM thing is starting to look a lot more
appealing.  But, I really don't want to give up eCS.  (That's the
OS/2 successor.)  As far as I knew, VirtualBox was the only
virtualizer that did OS/2 . . . but I think it had to be the Host
and XP had to be the client.

  Jordan