Re: Setup routine for new / returning users

  • From: Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:20:09 -0500

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sat, 09 Jan
2010 08:37:04 -0800

> Or: 1. create a directory (named, e.g., Xy), 2. copy all files
> to it. The rest is frills.

Not quite. Kari's right that hard-coded paths in SETTINGS.DFL have
to be dealt with.

I've been saying for years that a path-blind setup is the way to go.
From time to time I've posted a file called PORTABLE.INT, a
STARTUP.INT template for Xy4 that accomplishes this. Rather than
post it again, I thought that this time I'd provide a proof of
concept -- a fully functional Xy4 installation that can be launched
from any directory, located anywhere on your disk, without
modification. Here it is. To try it (Windows only), point your
browser here:

http://www.serve.com/ammaze/xfer/xy4.exe

Save the file (xy4.exe) to any directory -- NOT your regular Xy4
directory; create a new directory for this purpose.

Let me make it clear that XY4.EXE is NOT an installation or setup
program; it's a self-extracting archive of basic Xy4 program files.
After you've downloaded it, open a command session (CMD) and
navigate to your chosen directory. At the command prompt, issue
XY4.EXE to unpack the archive (a one-time operation). Now command
EDITOR to launch XyWrite. Done.

The README, which is automatically CAlled at startup, describes the
setup -- minimal, but still highly functional. You get two printer
files (plain-vanilla Ascii and Postscript), the Jumbo U2 (note that
the <F9> key launches both native XyWrite commands and U2 routines),
the STACK.PM command history utility, and -- an extra added bonus --
a game of Tetris that can be launched from the CMline. Other than
the modification to <F9>, the keyboard file is the factory-issued
XY4.KBD.

You wouldn't have to do much to turn this into your familiar Xy4
setup. Swap in your usual KBD file, SETTINGS.DFL (be sure to delete
or comment out lines containing hard-coded paths!), printer file,
and U2 file if you've customized it (edit STARTUP.INT accordingly);
add subdirectories \BTFONTS and \FILTERS if you need scalable Speedo
fonts and conversion filters -- and you're home.

The point of this demo is this: You do NOT need a setup or install
utility to move XyWrite to a new computer. All you need is to
configure STARTUP.INT and SETTINGS.DFL for portability, so that all
hard-coded paths can be eliminated from SETTINGS.DFL. Once you have
that, you can simply copy your XyWrite program files to any
directory on any machine, and you're ready to roll.

Give it a try. If I've left out anything essential, let me know.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx