RE: OED

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:50:55 +0000

I thought the main advantage of using OED2 was speed; comparing it to later versions is rather like comparing XyWrite and MSW. Also, later versions don't just have new words, but revised definitions and different quotations, and who knows? a few errors corrected. An enormous advantage of the online edition is its integration with HTOED.

At 2/13/2012 08:56 PM, you wrote:

--- On Mon, 2/13/12, Michael Norman <michael.norman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> V4 gives you the 7,000 words they added since
> 1.1, but, as Robert
> points out somewhere, 1.1 is the core of the dictionary. I
> don't want to get
> into an argument on lexicostatistic provenance or supremacy.
> Old, indeed, is
> sometimes better

Michael,

I was not referring to content -- the most important part of
which I understood to be rather static between versions --
but only to the software / hardware usability issues.  With
different later versions, there were things they required or
forbade the user from doing, impediments introduced (mainly
of the copy protection variety), etc.  I was looking to keep
all that to the bare minimum, with whatever version I got.
The older versions seemed to turn up for sale very rarely,
at least at any of the places I kept looking.

  Jordan