Re: OED

  • From: Paul Breeze <paul.breeze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:23:22 +0000

Dear Robert

From London, 00000000 does not work, but 11111111 does.

Paul

On 19/02/2012 17:59, Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from Bill Troop<billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>  on
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 22:52:16 +0000

Robert, I'm not sure what you mean here, please s'plain

Maybe I refrained from explaining the online options on the OED
website; I just checked and I guess I misspoke.  Because you
live (or lived) in Northern Ireland, where it's particularly
difficult to remember your library card number, OUP has
graciously simplified everything by recognizing patterns, rather
than real library card numbers:  thus just about any 8-digit
number is deemed a "library card", e.g. 00000000 or 11111111...
Now, this will work even if you happen to be deployed somewhere
else, such as London, or USA, or Timbuctoo (old spelling).  So,
for example, if you go to www.oed.com ==>  Sign In ==>  Library
Card number ==>  00000000, I do believe you are 100% "in".
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I hasten to add that because this accommodation is not widely
appreciated outside Northern Ireland (indeed, outside Belfast
Bible College, where library card memory lapses were rampant),
maybe it shouldn't be redistributed.

Cheers, R.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx