Re: OED

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:35:39 -0800

Here's what I don't quite "get" about the *Historical* Thesaurus
(based on the OED):  Why would anyone want to discover an
obsolete 16th century synonym for an obsolete 16th century noun?

Here's one idiosyncratic use. I have developed a theory about how concepts of attributes are first formed. I hypothesized that they are formed by metaphorical extension from nouns (nouns being the first concepts formed, historically and by a child). I predicted (retrodicted?) that the word "red" began as "blood," since blood is the most easily available and dramatic instance of the red color. Using my hardcover "OED" (and restricting myself to English, of course) I found that "red" came from "rud" which meant "blood." Score one for my theory.

But that's an extremely specialized use of the OED.

Trying to recreate Shakespeare's lost/suppressed plays, or
something like that?  As an idle exploration, it's doubtless
amusing.  As a practical matter, it seems pointless.  Bill?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx