RE: OED

  • From: "Michael Norman" <michael.norman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:34:01 -0500

Certainly HTOED has scholarly value, and value too perhaps as a modern
thesaurus, though if you remove the archaic words, I wonder how much
contemporary usage is left. The OED itself is really a de facto thesaurus,
at least I use it. Embedded in all the many definitions for any entry are
plenty of synonyms, which lead one to both other words and other concepts.
That's the beauty -- in part, at least -- of the OED. I'll stick with the
St. Martins thesaurus
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Robert+a+dutch&bi=0&bx=off&;
ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&x=0&y=0. Wish this one was digital.

Michael Norman

Behalf