Re: OED

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:50:18 +0000

I forgot to mention the issue that the HTOED can be accessed free, here:

<http://libra.englang.arts.gla.ac.uk/historicalthesaurus/aboutproject.html>http://libra.englang.arts.gla.ac.uk/historicalthesaurus/aboutproject.html

This is really barebones; what you get from OUP for all that money is a lot nicer. I'm also not sure how complete the free version is. I believe it includes a vast number of English words which did not make it into OED but it is all a little confusing because there is also

<http://libra.englang.arts.gla.ac.uk/oethesaurus/aboutoe.html>http://libra.englang.arts.gla.ac.uk/oethesaurus/aboutoe.html

By the way, Henry, out-of-towner is there, but the taxonomical branch is different; the free HTOED doesn't give the convenient family tree that OEDonline does. Presumably, the existence of the free version is being underplayed (and probably work to improve its interface is on hold) to give OUP the chance to maximize profits; I guess there are rights and wrongs on either side of the argument.