Re: OED

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:44:54 -0800

This looks to be the greatest thing since Aristotle's Prior Analytics.

I want to download it (any special software required to use it?) but I'm wondering if it's okay to give my credit card info to "FirstLoad" in order to do so.

Anyone know?

TIA,
Harry

I have the sense 'country dweller' and I want a collective noun. HTOED allows me to find 'the ruralty'

Bumpkins.

Not quite. Here's  what's great about HTOED. Ruralty is one of six words (including peasantry) classified under

1. the external world >
  • the living world >
  • food and drink >
  • farming >
  • farmer >
  • [noun] >
  • rustic or peasant >
  • collectively
  • ruralty (a1641)

and one of five words (not including peasantry) under

2. society >
  • inhabiting or dwelling >
  • inhabitant or resident >
  • inhabitant according to environment >
  • country dweller >
  • [noun] >
  • collectively
  • ruralty (a1641)

while bumpkin, in the sense you mean, is classified both under

1. the external world >
  • the living world >
  • food and drink >
  • farming >
  • farmer >
  • [noun] >
  • rustic or peasant >
  • ignorant
  • bumpkin (1570)
[same family tree as 1. above but a different branch]

and

2. society >
  • the community >
  • social class or rank >
  • the common people >
  • specific classes of common people >
  • peasant or rustic >
  • [noun] >
  • rude or ignorant
  • bumpkin (1570)

Doubtless there will be many decisions to argue, but by and large, Christian Kay and her team have done an amazing job.

(The first review of it was my wife's, http://www.literaryreview.co.uk/barker_11_09.html)