Re: OED

  • From: Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:57:28 -0500

Reply to note from Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx> Thu, 16 Feb 2012
18:16:19 +0000

> (The first review of [the HTOED] was my wife's,
> http://www.literaryreview.co.uk/barker_11_09.html)

An informative and entertaining review, Bill. This thread reminds me
that I should make more frequent use of my online subscription to
the OED (provided gratis by my employer), which of course now links
to the HT. My reflexive (automatic, irreflective, unreflective,
unthinking) reaction, when I want to consult the Dictionary, is to
launch my local (Dictionary-only) copy of the software. (On the
other hand, once I start browsing the HT, I might never get any work
done.)

Caleb Carr had an amusing piece in the NYT a couple of years ago, in
which he describes using the HT to translate the following sentence
into Shakespearean English: "She points her desktop browser only to
news aggregators but is looking forward to reading about vampire sex
on her tablet."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/magazine/10FOB-onlanguage-t.html

(I imagine there are people at the Vatican who could translate that
sentence into Latin.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx