[x500standard] Re: New draft on password policy

  • From: Howard Chu <hyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:25:32 -0700

David Wilson wrote:
On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 17:35 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
Section 18.1.6:
     a) why is pwdQualityRule single-valued? Without an initial set
of rules to
serve as examples, it's difficult to evaluate the usefulness of this
attribute. I would expect that multiple orthogonal rules will be
defined and
that a policy would allow combinations of these rules to be chosen.
IMO this
attribute should be multi-valued and at least one or two
prototypical rules
need to be part of the spec. As an example, a rule that validates
the
plaintext of a password against a regular expression would be
useful.

In thinking about what custom modules we've implemented for this in
the past, I propose a couple rules for usage. First of all, assume
that pwdQualityRule is multivalued, where each value defines a single
type of rule, and a given password must pass every rule to be valid.

I've been ruminating over this, and I'm not sure that a multi-valued
attribute in each user's entry is what is needed.

I think you misunderstood somewhere; this attribute is part of the pwdPolicy subentry. It is not in each user's entry.

Another interesting debate is over the whole issue of password quality,
as in:

<http://www.usenix.org/event/hotsec07/tech/full_papers/florencio/florencio.pdf>

Yes... In some ways this may be a problem that is no longer in search of a solution...

--
  -- Howard Chu
-----