[x500standard] Re: New draft on password policy

  • From: Howard Chu <hyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:30:39 -0700

David Chadwick wrote:
Hi Howard

Howard Chu wrote:
Looks like I forgot about this. Just to note: I've added pwdStartDate
and pwdEndDate to the LDAP ppolicy draft, and suggested that setting
pwdStartDate to a value greater than pwdEndDate can be used for the same
effect as a generic "disabled" flag.

good idea. We will change the name of our pwdCreationTime to pwStartTime
and allow it to be in the future and set by the administrator. We should
then have alignment on this

As an aside, dont you think we should try to align the names (and OIDs)
of all our attributes when they are semantically the same. For example,
we use Time rather than Date since we use GeneralisedTime as the syntax
of many of our attributes.

Yes, that would make the most sense. I didn't want to tackle that since I wasn't sure how much flexibility you have here. Given that there are already a lot of deployments of the LDAP revision 9 draft, I don't really want to go back and change the definitions from that revision. But certainly for the stuff I've added in revision 10 I'm open to more intuitive choices.

You can find the latest edit in the OpenLDAP CVS

http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/doc/drafts

If you get me a copy of your latest edit I can generate a list of attributes that we can align.

--
  -- Howard Chu
-----