[women_of_phoenix] Please Read :-)

  • From: Helen Knott <hiknott2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolann Morris <cazmor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, women_of_phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:22:09 +0100

  I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful  life, my loving
family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.  As I've aged, I've become
kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I
don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not  making my bed,
or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but   looks so
avante garde on my patio.  I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be
extravagant.

I  have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon;  before they
understood the great freedom that comes with  aging.

Whose  business is it if I choose to read or play on the  computer until 4
AM and  sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to  those wonderful tunes
of the 60  &70's, and if I, at the same time,  wish  to weep over a lost
love  ..... I will.

I  will walk the beach in a swim suit that  is stretched over a bulging
body, and will dive into the waves  with  abandon if I choose to, despite
the  pitying glances from the jet set.  They, too, will get  old.

I  know I am sometimes forgetful.   But there again, some of life is just
as  well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important  things.

Sure,  over the years my heart has been broken.  How can your heart not
break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when
somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?  But broken  hearts are  what give
us strength and understanding and compassion.   A heart never broken is
pristine and sterile and will  never know the joy of  being imperfect.

I  am so blessed to have lived long enough  to have my hair turning gray,
and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my
face.

So  many  have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could
turn silver.

As  you get older, it is easier to be positive.  You care  less about what
other people think..  I don't question myself  anymore.  I've even earned
the right to be wrong.

So,  to   answer your question, I like being old.  It has set me free.   I
like the person I have become.  I am not going to live forever,  but while
I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what  could   have been,
or worrying about what will be.  And I shall  eat dessert every single day
(if I feel like it).

MAY  OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S  STRAIGHT  FROM
THE  HEART!