Re: [Wittrs] Richter on Sophie Scholl

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:53:06 -0700

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM, WittrFeed
<wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> ... I enjoyed this move very much as well. --sw.
>
> language goes on holiday
> language goes on holiday

Kirby notes:

I made mention of this thread (but without a link) here:

http://www.mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7485021&tstart=0#reply-tree

Over on the Wittgenstein list, we've been looking
at Duncan's review of the 2005 film 'Sophie Scholl -
The Final Days' about a brave leader of the Xtian
resistance to the Nazi rise to power.

The Jewish-Christian alliance is easy to trace (Jesus
being Jewish), whereas those indulging in hate
speech against Judaism on theological grounds
are for the most part arguably non-Christian in
spirit (which is not to assert that non-Christians
are by definition anti-Jewish, on the contrary
Judaism has enjoys friendly relations with many
non-Christian lineages as well).

You might read about Wittgenstein in 'The Jew
of Linz' wherein the author (Kimberly Cornish)
paints an interesting picture of how Bertrand Russell's
contemporaries fought back against Nazi memes, in
part by using a new kind of philosophy pioneered
by an Austrian who attended the same school as
Adolph HItler as a boy. Wittgenstein went on to
pioneer the foundations of mathematics in ways
that free us from many a paradox. Strongly typed
logic has long since supplanted the early prototypes
in Frege and Russell style "propositional calculus"
(the idea of "propositions" and "predicate logic" is
far less in vogue these days among grammarians
and logicians).