[C] [Wittrs] Re: Solipsism

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:00:01 -0800 (PST)

From:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iep.utm.edu%2Fwittgens%2F&ei=pPZaTYW_McGBlAfKxL3KDA&usg=AFQjCNEvZQsNUi9Gw_Z3U6CM0rrA86u_cw>

"From Schopenhauer (perhaps) Wittgenstein got his interest in solipsism and in
the ethical nature of the relation between the will and the world.
Schopenhauer’s saying that “The world is my idea,” (from The World as Will and
Idea) is echoed in such remarks as “The world is my world”
(from Tractatus 5.62). What Wittgenstein means here, where he also says that
what the solipsist means is quite correct, but that it cannot be said, is
obscure and controversial. Some have taken him to mean that solipsism is true
but for some reason cannot be expressed. H.O. Mounce, in his
valuable Wittgenstein’s Tractatus: An Introduction, says that this
interpretation is surely wrong. Mounce’s view is that Wittgenstein
holdssolipsism itself to be a confusion, but one that sometimes arises when one
tries to express the fact that “I have a point of view on the world which is
without neighbours.” (Mounce p.91) Wittgenstein was not a solipsist but he
remained interested in solipsism and related problems of scepticism throughout
his life."

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.