[C] [Wittrs] Re: Solipsism

  • From: "walto" <walterhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 01:34:05 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> The following article discusses solipsism from the perspective of a certain
> interpretation of Wittgenstein (mainly the PI). That interpretation seems to
> me to be at odds with Wittgenstein's use of the word 'solipsism' in his
> Tractatus, and more consistent with the Problem of Other Minds than with the
> problem of solipsism as Descartes described it. I'm left unsure about my own
> interpretation of Wittgenstein on this, so I'd like to ask what others think
> of the article's interpretation of Wittgenstein's view of solipsism:
>
> http://www.iep.utm.edu/solipsis/

I think the author should have discussed Crispin Wright--especially his
response to Putnam's argument that we couldn't be brains-in-vats.  According to
Wright (if I read him correctly--his writing is notoriously convoluted), the
Witter and externalist arguments won't work against skeptical positions
according to which I/we have become envatted (or otherwise deceived) only
recently, rather than from birth.  In any case, it's weird to write an
encyclopedia article on the subject without discussing Wright, since he's been
one of the main guys on that issue for a long time.