[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 342

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 2 Sep 2010 08:50:48 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Understanding the Homeostasis-Intentionality Connection (for Neil)

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Sep 1, 2010 7:16 am (PDT)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:

> > SWM:
> > I was making the point that if you define consciousness as
> > needing intentionality and intentionality as what's needed to have
> > consciousness you haven't taken us to any new understanding of the
> > issue or given us a conclusion that was not already evident. For
> > the argument to be of use, we need to learn something we didn't
> > explicitly know before.
>

> I surely don't know what you think you are replying to. It seems that
> you must have completely misunderstood my post.

In my response I was asking you what you meant by "intentionality" in the context of your statement that "intentionality" was missing from your B category (in your opinion what AI researchers and thinkers like Dennett had in mind) while it was to be found in your A category, which you asserted they were ignoring.

I suggested that the distinction you were making seemed artificial to me and not really reflective of the distinction between what you called the "computational"/"mental" ("B" category stuff) and the perception processes you proposed were to be found in your A "category" in terms of either AI research or Dennett's model.

(I also noted that your designating this dichotomy as dualist seemed to get the usual meaning of "dualism" wrong and asked for further clarification there but we seem to be off that issue for now.)

I agreed that perhaps you had something different in mind than I did and asked you, in that context, to elucidate what you thought "intentionality" (an apparently missing link in your thesis) actually was.

You then responded by defining it in terms of what was needed to have consciousness which I then suggested was a circular claim since the issue wasn't whether it was needed or not (presumably it is and everyone knows it because intentionality, by definition, is one of the features we recognize as part of what we mean by "consciousness").

Since you had claimed that intentionality was to be found in the A group but not the B group, I asked you what you meant by the term "intentionality", itself, since it seems perfectly feasible to me to locate it in the B group (as I understand "intentionality").

So I was seeking to see if we were talking about the same thing! (Intentionality is a rarified enough term, as we have seen, that such divergences between interlocutors are not all that rare.)

When I suggested that circularity was a problem in your argument, you responded by noting that giving definitions, as seen in dictionaries, is often a circular process.

I did not disagree with that but noted that I was not asking for a dictionary type definition but for one which would clarify the term in the context of YOUR argument that what is in the B category is not sufficient to have consciousness because "intentionality" is not to be found among the B's.

In order to determine if you are correct in that, we need to know precisely what it is you think is missing from the B's, not just an unelucidated name for an indeterminate referent.

If "intentionality" is just what is needed to have consciousness, then we know nothing more about what it is you think is missing than the fact that consciousness is missing and that doesn't help your case that B's are missing what A's have (even setting aside for the moment the possibility that your dichotomous categories may not even fairly reflect the distinction you think exists between AI and the position you hold).

> > SWM:
> > What "critical" elements are left out and can you say why these
> > ARE critical?
>
> I already gave details in a previous post - the one that you seem to
> have completely misunderstood.
>
> I guess I'll stop posting in this thread to avoid further confusing the
> issues.
>
> Regards,
> Neil

Well there's no stopping such a decision. I admit that I wasn't going to respond to this based on the fact that you have been pretty clear here that you don't want to go on. That, of course, is always an option. But after considering your claim that you don't know what I was responding to, I thought that, perhaps, a brief restatement (above) would at least clarify that.

As to your disinclination to provide further elucidation as to your position, it seems to me that your position must suffer from that move.

You are on record as saying that AI cannot work because it leaves something essential out (as, you say, do all philosophical efforts along these lines). Declining to be more specific about what you think is left out, you fall back on pointing to past, equally unclear posts you have placed here.

Of course, if they had been clear to me I would not have asked for further explanation now. So it is hardly an answer to tell me that what I found unclear before should be sufficient for clarity now.

Perhaps, as I've said in the past, you really do have some new and unique understanding which I am unable to grasp. Certainly this is one possibility. And yet your persistent refusal to elucidate when very specific questions are posed leaves me wondering.

What I know so far of your position is that you hold that AI, Dennett and all philosophy leave something critical out of the mix but you will only say that what is left out is what is required for intentionality which is only to be found in your A group of things, not in your B group. But you are unwilling to tell us what you mean by "intentionality" except to say that it means whatever is left out when consciousness isn't present.

In the past your position has gone something like this:

What is needed to have consciousness is something which is found in living things and which, you have said, may not be found in non-living things.

You have defined that something in these terms:

1) The HOMEOSTATIC (closed-state-in-equilibrium) condition which characterizes life and which leads to

2) PRAGMATIC (as in purposeful) processes (they occur as part of the homeostatic entity's need to preserve itself) which lead to

3) PERCEPTION (functions that are based in the entity's larger apparatus, beyond its brain, or information processing component [the B category], which counts, apparently, in your A category) and which pick up and capture information about the world and then which lead to

4) INTENTIONALITY (which you have refused to define beyond saying that it's what's needed for an entity to be conscious -- note that I would say, rather, that it is part of what we mean by being "consciousness" but perhaps this is a mere quibble).

At the least what is needed now are:

1) Clarification of what YOU mean by "intentionality" so we can see why it cannot be found in your B group (perhaps it can, after all, when properly understood); and

2) Some explanation as to how we get from item 1 to item 4 and why the occurrence of item 4 is, finally, dependent on the occurrence of the earlier items and cannot occur as a result of any other sequence of events.

As I said from the first, Neil, I have long been interested in why you think that AI leaves out something that is to be found in life forms.

So far the above reflects what I believe you have said on the subject. But I admit to thinking a lot of it is unclear. I cannot, however, elucidate your positions. All I can do is rephrase and restate them until we are in agreement that I have got them right (which seems to be something you are resistant to).

If you think my restatements are wrong, all you have to do is point out where, precisely, offering whatever definitions are needed to ensure we are understanding each other.

But, yes, you can always end the discussion.

If you choose to do that, I will regret it and be left with only the above points that I have culled from your posts. Either they accord with your actual positions or they are wrong. But if they are wrong, it is up to you to say why. If you don't, then I must assume they are right or that you cannot say why they are wrong and, if the latter, I would suggest you might want to rethink your position because any thesis ought to be able to stand up to this kind of scrutiny.

If it can't then perhaps there are some problems with it.

Thanks.

SWM

2a.

Re: Wittgenstein for Beginners...

Posted by: "kirby urner" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Sep 1, 2010 7:24 pm (PDT)

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 2:30 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> ..the LP camp got it wrong:  LW wasn't saying ethics
> and aesthetics are nonsense, if that means something
> without value.  It's what's in the world that's value
> neutral (per Tractatus) and is also what philosophy
> helps us get free from by reconnecting us to our
> deeper selves (i.e. logic does not "stop"  and/or "win"
> over ethics).

From another list (typo fixed):

"""
As Robert knows, I might try bringing back Philosophy (includes logic,
grammar, rhetoric, machine intelligence) as the thing to study. Maybe
rename a high school degree to PhA (Apprentice of Philosophy) to
rhyme with that PhD that comes later (with tightened standards -- you
really need more ethics before you get one of those, judging from
the crop we've been getting, the wars they've been starting and/or
ineffectively resisting (thinking of Kaufmann re Heidegger again)).
"""

I'll be arguing that a lack in ethics accounts for how so many PhDs
became complicit in mob psychology movements of the late 20th
and early 21st centuries. Many academic philosophers were
especially complicit in their silence. I'm taking a page from Walter
Kaufmann here, in his excoriations of Heidegger. His view is one
*should* judge a philosophy by the life of the philosopher behind it.

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2008/02/philosophy-101.html

Basically, if the ethics are corrupt, then the entire corpus is likely
a waste of time. Fortunately, most philosophers worthy of note
give us clear indications of their ethical positions, Wittgenstein
included. Those that do not save us a lot of time (as we need
not study their writings in much detail).

> The temptation to dispense with ethics is always
> high in some branches of philosophy.  If only one
> could have the title of philosopher (like a doctor)
> and not have to take ethical stands, what a relief
> that would be.  Ergo:  "that stuff is all nonsense"
> seems like a perfect out.  But do philosophies that

Like the ultimate cop out.

The original idea of tenure was now you'd be protected from
getting fired, so go ahead and defend those unpopular minority
positions. Some profs did this, but on the whole the idea may
have been a failure.

I'm reading the autobio of William Mandel in conjuction
with a new bio of Albert Einstein. The latter most certainly
qualifies as a philosopher, even though he was also a
great physicist. What you see in academia during the
period after WW2 is a kind of spineless willingness to
toe the party line.

Many of the same academics who built up Russia as an
ally quickly made an about face after Truman chose to drop
the A-bomb.

The temptation to turn the USA's post war advantages into
a final "manifest destiny" bid to become the "last only
superpower" uber alles was certainly real.

What philosophers had the courage to stand against the
mob on this one? Albert Einstein for one. Eisenhower did
his best.

> dismiss ethics have much of a half-life?
> In any case, Wittgenstein's philo is not about
> dismissing huge areas of ordinary language as
> irrelevant.  On the contrary, the esoteric private
> languages are more likely to shake loose.

Computer languages have replace paper and pencil logic
when it comes to getting real work done in the real world.

Analytic philosophers don't have many cards anymore.
It's mostly bluff and bluster, in exchange for high tuition.
Why is it called a "doctor of philosophy" anyway?

> Computer languages come and go, for example.
> A logic may be "brittle" (and so not long for this
> world).  LW is a kind of polemicist in some ways,
> broadcasting about his differences with some
> "influenza zone" (infected, rather than improved,
> by its philosophy).  And yet he's no stranger to
> the world he decries, has many friends therein.
> As to exactly who goes by "logical positivist" today,
> I'm not quite sure.  The machine intelligence vista
> is mostly taken up with computer science, with
> some fringe AI around the edges.

AI was big as we moved towards the year 2000.
People expected HAL.

Now the best pro-AI arguments all have to do with
"spin off" and "trickle down" -- similar to arguments
one gets from the military sector (indeed, these two
camps work hand in glove, shoveling a lot of the
same BS, which only flies because of the low
level of techno-literacy in the population at large).

> The artistry and aesthetics in computer work is
> hardly a 2nd tier topic.  It's *The Art* of Computer
> Programming (Knuth) after all.[2]  From my angle,
> WIttgenstein's philosophy, especially the later one,
> seems as relevant as ever.  "Meaning as use" is
> a very rich concept in GUI and control panel
> design.  How does one monitor one's own energy
> consumption?  These are engineering questions,
> but also involve grammar, language games, rules
> of best fit.  An aesthetic sense goes with the
> territory in other words.  Philosophy and art
> conjoin through many interfaces.
> Kirby

Especially in documentary film making.

I'm thinking of a title: "The Soulless Philosophers".

We'll have a chapter on "shock and awe", another on
the doctrine of "pre-emptive strike".

Those AI slobs who never raised their voices in opposition
will be a focus.

Academia as a haven for unethical cowards will be a theme.

Kirby

> [0] re Logicomix:
> http://coffeeshopsnet.blogspot.com/2010/05/buzz-about-shops.html
> http://www.logicomix.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=59
> Annie Di Donna studied graphic arts and painting in France and has worked as
> animator on
> many productions, among them Babar and Tintin
> [1]
> Tintin
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3696376738/
> [2] HTML5 is just getting more swoopy by the day:
> http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
> http://controlroom.blogspot.com/search?q=HTML5

3a.

Re: Readings in Martian Math (2010.8.26)

Posted by: "walto" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Sep 1, 2010 7:36 pm (PDT)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, kirby urner <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> [...]
> interests that sometimes sells out, publishes a lot of
> corrupt stuff that a philosophy with background is of
> necessity vigilant against. Michael Crichton's 'State of
> Fear' is a similar analysis, especially if you read the
> Appendix, which starts getting more into Edwin Black
> territory more (as do I, in my high school level intro
> to SQL, in the same lineage as Hollerith technology).
>
> For example, one of our more recent speakers, a long
> time physicist of the Einstein generation who escaped
> the holocaust, went over the boat loads of bogus
> research that's come out to obfuscate the health and
> ecosystem effects of nuclear energy plants. This is of
> course in the Linus Pauling tradition, as the dangers
> of fallout and trace radioisotopes in the watershed
> (e.g. milk supply) was the kind of thing he warned
> against, long before the general public was being told
> anything about its guinea pig status. The other
> contributing factor is we here in Portland live down
> river from Hanford, site of the Manhattan Project,
> where the after-effects of nuclear bomb production
> have rendered the Columbia Gorge one of the more
> esoterically contaminated bodies of water on Earth.
> The salmon have dwindled to a pale shadow of their
> former selves (the dams play a role) plus all too many
> of them have two heads or whatever freakish features.
> Humans have likewise been affected (mentally as well
> as physically).
>
> I'm a few blocks away from LPC in what's called the
> Blue House (there's also a Pink House and maybe a
> few others). One of our services is to provide
> Free School to deserving exchange students on
> scholarship. Currently, we're hosting a brilliant
> musician with management training in computer
> science and information technology setting. She's
> getting her degree in community organizing and
> is naturally a candidate to join the Havana project
> I was yakking about in previous postings.
>
> Sometimes I get to chauffeur MVPs that also speak
> on the lecture series, though mostly that's Terry's
> job. There's also a 1947 wooden power boat in
> the picture, that takes selected guests out on
> our "glow in the dark" Columbia.
>
> Here's my write-up of Dr. Susan Haack's lecture
> and visit to the Pauling Campus. I've gotten to
> blog about a lot of these lectures -- part of what
> makes my columns a focal point among literati
> and digerati in this town (where I'm a respected
> geek and village elder), serves as a source of
> "glue language" for many a Silicon Forester
> (including "FOSS witches" and gypsies...).
>
> http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/02/pauling-house-meeting.html
>
> (that's a picture of Linus and Ava Helen over the
> mantel, click for much larger view, click on
> "a followup meet" in the first sentence for an
> informal write up of the formal lecture downtown).
>
> She talked quite a bit about her personal interactions
> with Rorty. They may have been at opposite poles
> on some issues, but that didn't keep them from having

Many thanks for your recollections, Kirby. I enjoyed them very much.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here