[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein's meaning is use.

  • From: CJ <castalia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:02:39 -0400

Re Natasha's message:

Pondering the relation between "thought" and "language' can definitely cause a migraine. Both are fantasy islands and trying to work through the ponderous relation between the two can only get you lost ---not in depth---but in a fantasy ocean between the two. When I was an undergraduate at Yale, I devoted my thesis to that question and it ended up breaking my heart. But it's better to have loved and lost........since ultimately, as a result, I found Wittgenstein.

The question of thought outside Wittgenstein is even more difficult, I think, than 'in Wittgenstein" and gives me more of a headache than listening to what Wittgenstein has to say. Why? Because, at least with W, I know that he's just kidding us along and puffing using "thought" as a device which only his own "inner straw man' would argue him.

I believe that Wittgenstein would be happily tossing about in his grave if he knew that all now realized that we (along with everything we do or say) are always on a some game board or other, not the movers of the pieces but the pieces being moved, and so, while I often get a feeling that Wittgenstein operated, in many ways, very much as would a marvelous anthropologist or naturalist/ethologist in his appreciation of the "forms of life" being the underpinnings of language games ,,,nonetheless he was also --and painfully-----aware that in so doing he was yet again on an another game board, and that the notions of "language' and "thought" were nothing other than moves that had long been made on that board, perhaps to no avail and with little reason.....but nothing more than that 'moves to be considered....and re-considered.........and that definitely cut down on my headaches..

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz
1 WEEK: http://alturl.com/yeza