[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein's meaning is use.

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:23:39 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, CJ <wittrs@...> wrote:

> The "use" of which it makes sense to speak is NOT  the personalized,
> incipient about-to-be expressed flicker of a word, but is the role
> that the expression or word fills in the playing of the language game
> of which it is a an aspect and part, how it helps hold the game
> together and how it enables that game to reside firmly and solidly in
> an underlying 'Form of life".

Given the above definition, why isn't it in accord with LW's use of use
to point out that the role of of the "incipient about-to-be expressed"
is also that which "holds the game together"....etc.

In short, if the meaning of our words is in the use, what uses can be
illegitimate?

bruce

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf