[Wittrs] Re: When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 15:11:54 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
> > Cayuse wrote:
> >> It's not possible to view "subjective experience" from the outside,
> >> neither in the case of others, nor in one's own case.
> >> Any such picture assumes a "god's eye" view, and having imagined such a
> >> view, it then has no application.
> >
> > There is nothing "god's eye" in speaking of someone as seeing things or
> > having a dream or closing his or her eyes and visualizing something
> > in the "mind's eye" that those of us watching him or her cannot share. All
> > of this is subjective experience, of course. As is much more.
> > One doesn't need to think of oneself as a god or to have such an eye to be
> > able to make these kinds of distinctions.
>
> It would require a "god's eye" view to ascertain whether or not there is a
> domain beyond "subjective experience". Any talk of such a domain is
> nonsensical.

Then why are you bringing it up? I'm not and haven't. It has no relevance to
anything I have said about minds or consciousness or experience or subjective
experience!

> <snip>
> > But perhaps you have some quote or argument to offer that can support your
> > claim that to speak of "subjective experience" meant, for Wittgenstein,
> > to aim for what we cannot have, that is, such a "god's eye view"?
>
> I'm not aware of LW mentioning "subjective experience" anywhere, but then
> I've only read the TLP and the PI. If he does then the reference would be
> appreciated.

You're the one who is claiming that Wittgenstein's work supports your
interpretation that "subjective experience" is "the microcosm", "the all" or
"the visual room"! So it is for you to provide evidence that your
interpretation is correct, either by argument or by some direct quotes which
show him saying or arguing for such a position.

SWM

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs