[Wittrs] Re: What is Grammar?

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:40:23 -0700

<< trim >>

> And so, we have two ideas for (b):  the cultural anthropology of language
> (the aspect that is given); and the capacity of the form of life
> to contribute "on the field" to the play. (Note that the latter gets thrown
> back into the former, which allows anthropology to change over time).
>
> Regards and thanks.
>
> SW

Interesting take on grammar SW.

Taking my cue from "Slabs!" (the language game of), I sometimes force
grammar to map to nothing smaller than a bread box, i.e. it's all
about city streets and their layout, urban planning, what my dad did
for a living, before he switched to education planning in Bhutan,
continuing in Lesotho.

I take my cue from 'On Certainty' that grammar and 'form of life' fit
together, and from the PI that it's a superstition to think of
language or thought as something unique.

Nature follows rules and we are embedded within nature as more rule
followers, so grammar pertains to the birds and the bees as well.

Put another way, we would have our ordinary ways of talking without
them, and extraordinary grammars, such as the philosophical and
logical ones, really anchor to the ordinary ways, the public lay ways,
to keep their bearings, not the other way around (is what I consider a
substantial insight of the linguistic turn more generally).

Kirby

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz