[Wittrs] Re: Welcome Natalia!

  • From: Nasha Waights Hickman <baghira24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 20:43:14 +0100

Hahaha, sorry, yes I suppose it's a bit weird of me to chuck in an anonymous
rant, although I do rather feel now as though I'm being welcomed into an AA
meeting ;-)
My name is Natalia Waights Hickman, I'm 23, from Cadiz(Spain)/Hastings(UK),
just finished my BA in PPE at Oxford, where I  discovered the wonders of
logic and then, just when I was getting excited about Frege and thinking
Strawson had it aaaall wrong, was tricked by a coy young philosopher of
physics into taking a paper on later Wittgenstein. I've had the Wittgenstein
bug in a bad way for just over a year now, and should be starting an MA at
Reading in about 10 days, which I hope will allow me to do more analytic
phil (and the history of ) with W. in the background, and then focus on
later Wittgenstein for my thesis. My great temptation is scepticism, and my
great obsession/head-ache where Wittgenstein is concerned is the
arbitrariness of grammar and the bounds of sense.

Other things I'm roughly interested in:logic, lang, mind, metaphysics &
epistemology. I like cats and Rudyard Kipling too :)

I'm really thrilled you guys are doing this; it's tough to find people with
a genuine interest in this kind of philosophy. ( I am entertaining hopes of
getting a Witt, Lang & Mind  group going btw Ox and Reading, but it isn't
looking easy!).

Thanks for letting me in on the fun, unfortunately I'm still rather busy
searching for work in Ox and have limited time for philosophy, but I'm very
excited about playing in future, and am doing my best to get every other
young philosopher I know interested and involved!

Best,

Natalia

PS: And you lot? Are you all at the same place? Perhaps I need to dig around
on your site...