[Wittrs] Re: Sample Recruitment Mail

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

[how does this look for recruitment purposes? Let me know if you see anything
that jumps out. I''ll personalize the first paragraph better for each mail]

Hello!

My name is Sean Wilson. I'm an assistant professor at Wright State University.
I obtained your email from xx. I'm writing to inform you about a new
Wittgenstein-centered discussion group that I formed. I hope you will
consider joining it yourself or at least telling your students about it. We
would love to have more participants. Below is a summary of the group:

WHAT IS THE GROUP?
The group is for Wittgenstein-learned or inspired people who want to discuss
ANY intellectual idea whatsoever. The premise of the group is that people who
"get Wittgenstein" make for better intellectual discourse. Of course, we also
accept those who are just curious about Wittgenstein and want to discuss only
him.  The group spends about half of its time discussing Wittgenstein and about
half discussing a range of other ideas, mostly in philosophy. (I would like to
see the discussion branch into other fields as well -- such as law,
linguistics, and social science. I'm looking for more participants to help).

WHAT IS THE GROUP NAME?
We call ourselves Wittgenstein's Aftermath -- or "Wittrs," for short.

WHY CHOOSE THIS GROUP OVER OTHERS?
Our group's infrastructure is really great. We have an email list that gets
piped into a message board. Any user who sends a message to the list will
have it automatically appear on the board. Conversely, anyone who replies on
the board will have the message go to the list -- without double posting!
Hence, members can participate in the same discussion using either emails or a
message-board format. We also have a number of web archives that allow one to
participate from those venues as well (see below). I don't think you will find
a group with better infrastructure.

Website: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html ;
Message Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/

WHO CAN BE A MEMBER OF THE GROUP?
Anyone who is inspired by, knowledgeable of, or curious about Ludwig
Wittgenstein --  and who sees Wittgenstein as a polar star in the intellectual
universe. This does not mean that one has to agree with Wittgenstein's ideas;
half-blooded Wittgensteinians are as welcome as full-blooded. In fact, you can
reject Wittgenstein altogether. But what is key is that you appropriately know
of his ideas and find him to be an important and substantial part of
intellectual culture. So the only people who are excluded from membership are
those who dislike Wittgenstein personally or believe his ideas foolish and
irrelevant, or who don't know anything about his ideas and are content staying
that way. The group does not have any formal discussion topics. You can discuss
any intellectual topic whatsoever.

WHO WOULD WE LIKE TO SEE RECRUITED?
We would like to have more professors from various fields. Ideally,
Wittgenstein-inspired scholars doing work outside philosophy are as welcome as
those doing work inside the field. We would also like to have people who could
contribute messages about conferences and papers, and relevant news. Good
students are of course always welcome.

HOW CAN I JOIN?
There are two ways. You can go to this page and sign up (lower-left corner):
//www.freelists.org/list/wittrs. ; Or, you can register with the message
board here:
http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=register&S=72f79b4325322987e49022f45d3d5ebf.
  Either way, you will get you signed into the group. (NOTE: You do not need to
become a member to read Wittrs. Our archives are public.)

WITTRS ON THE WEB:
Our group has several public archives. You can participate from the web if you
like (after you have joined).
    1. WEB VIEW:  --  http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4  ;
    2. GOOGLE:  -- http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs
    4. FREELIST:  --  //www.freelists.org/archive/wittrs/09-2009

registration. You create a login and a password. You must be logged in to post.
This is separate from the the process of joining Wittrs. It's an extra step).

SEARCHING WITTRS:
Information on searching Wittrs can be found at our archive
page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html.

POSTING POLICY:
Wittrs has a posting policy. Contributions must be civil. Talk about ideas
only, not people. To see a more detailed explaination, go
here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/dbhelp/

QUALITY OF THE PARTICIPANTS:
Wittrs has a wide variety of participants. Some are scholars in the academy.
Some have even authored literary works. But many are just students or people
interested in intellectual ideas. As a result, the quality of the messages will
vary. We suggest you get a feel for who you might want to discuss with. Not
every post needs replied to (let alone read). Wittrs is committed to the idea
that anyone should be able to post no matter their education or title. Think of
Wittrs as a store: although many items (messages) may be offered for your
consideration, you need only concern yourself with the one(s) good enough to
capture your fancy.

Regards and Thanks!

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor