[Wittrs] Re: Russell or Wittgenstein?

  • From: brendan downs <downs_brendan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:16:55 +1200

Yes there are writings where russell calls W a fool several times, why
reiterated so many times? There are so many similiarities in there logical
atomism. Russell an Moore named the tractatus. W claims to refuted logical
atomism but in PI in the preface he defends it and uses it. Why refute your own
work??? when one can add to it. W own work in PI is not orignal and in his
preface he admits this. He uses Augstines system of language and he turns
ostensive definitions into ostensive training. now this implicty implied in the
act of pointing is teaching, so ostensive definitions into ostensive
definitions training is sononyomous with each other. like "slab" and "bring me
a slab". W was an elemtary school teacher. in his last paragraph of PI he makes
reference to prinicapa mathematica i.e. Russell. Russell was just as problemed
as W with similar problems. Russell was already a genius

> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:55:01 +0000
> From: jrstern@xxxxxxxxx
> To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Wittrs] Re: Russell or Wittgenstein?
>
> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, brendan downs <wittrs@...> wrote:
> >

> > I would like to bring in to question the works of the "Tractatus", Was it
> > Wittgensteins? or Russell and Moore's work? Did Russell and Moore create a
> > genius?
>
> It was very different in style from anything either Russell or Moore did, and
> I think different in its assumptions, different in its claims, different in
> its goals.
>
> The relationship between Russell and Wittgenstein is always to me - curious.
> Was Russell really that hard up for intelligent doctoral students, that any
> human intellect would impress him so much as to take Wittgenstein seriously,
> with all of his tempers and disagreements? One is tempted to serious
> psychoanalysis of them both and the relationship as a third subject.
>
> I'm not really sure what you mean by "create a genius".
>
> Is this all a serious, literal proposal, that Russell and Moore made some
> kind of a project to "create" Wittgenstein?
>
> Of course there are *some* influences of logicism and language in
> Wittgenstein's work, but I gather you mean something more.
>
> Josh
>

> WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
> TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
> 3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz
> 1 WEEK: http://alturl.com/yeza
> GOOGLE: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs
> FREELIST: //www.freelists.org/archive/wittrs/09-2009

Feeling the financial pinch? Check on MSN NZ Money for a hand
http://money.msn.co.nz