[Wittrs] Re: Robots and Ethical Choices

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 02:05:16 -0000

" there isn't one damn philosophical problem. Not one at all. All there is, is
the confusion people have when throwing around the term 'robot' and 'ethics'."

The philosophical problem is what we mean by "ethics" and related terms, i.e.,
whether the terms in question have an application vis a vis robots. Thus the
problem lies in the way we speak rather than at some metaphysical-theoretical
level.

Why is this not merely 'not a linguistic problem' though and so qualifies as
fodder for the philosopher? Because this isn't about how people in any
particular language-using group currently apply these terms (determined either
by checking all available dictionaries or by taking a survey of actual language
users) but about whether the current applications of these terms imply or allow
for certain new (not previously considered) applications, to robots and similar
type machines, say, under certain conditions.

Doing philosophy by approaching conceptual questions through linguistic
analysis is not the same as studying particular languages or languages in
general, though there will be points of contact, I expect.

SWM