[Wittrs] Re: Pateman On Wittgenstein Chomsky, Behaviorists & Cognitivists

  • From: Nasha Waights Hickman <baghira24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:37:16 +0100

I'm not familiar with the Chomsky stuff (time to learn!) and am tripping up
on some of the language, so I haven't made much progress with this article
as yet. For now I just want to agree with Sean's suggestion that
Wittgenstein's arguments on private language are not aimed undermining the
(perfectly intelligible) notion that an individual in isolation could
develop or maintain a language, but rather at the notion of a language which
is private in a more radical sense: a language which only the speaker can
(necessarily and in principle) understand, for the meanings of the words are
defined by reference to items in the speaker's private realm (§243,PI).

Baker and Hacker argued this point forcefully against the communitarian
readings of both Malcolm and Kripke (Malcolm on Language and Rules(1990); On
Misunderstanding Wittgenstein:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/q3378g85k6404705/) and I find it
puzzling that Pateman should,so to speak, tar all (roughly) Wittgensteinian
philosophers with the same brush on this particular issue.

The debate over whether language is essentially social or individual I think
(following B&H) rather obscures the point of Wittgenstein's arguments. Where
the remarks on private language are concerned, it matters that language is
essentially shareable (another can in principle learn it) not whether it is
in fact shared. More generally, I'd say the key shift in perspective that
Wittgenstein is urging comes in moving from a referentialist conception of
meaning, to a use conception of meaning, where the former belongs in a
static calculus conception of rules and language, and the latter follows
from seeing language (and rule-following) as an activity or practice;
linguistic competence as a practical ability or set of (learnt) practical
abilities. Whether a language is used in private or in a community is
entirely besides the point; what is crucial is that it is used; that using a
sentence is akin to making a move in a game (whether it be solitaire or
chess is unimportant!); that words are also deeds etc, etc.

Moreover, the conviction that language is essentially social in so far as it
serves exclusively as a means of communication between agents I take to be,
from W.'s perspective, one of the most misleading. It suggests that we aim,
in speaking, simply to convey private thoughts, intentions, desires, pains
etc conceived of as private items which exist and are intelligible prior to
and independent from language. Here recognising that individuals in solitude
can develop and use language could actually be an aid to dispelling
confusions! -- certainly, insistence upon the social character of language
will do little to rid us of them.

Needless to say I don't make much of the arguments offered in section 2 of
Pateman's paper, as they seem to be offered as counters to a position which
the Wittgensteinian need not take.

How one understands the phenomenon of language development and use by
individuals in isolation is  important however. I don't think it lends any
support to the idea that language is innate. The capacity to learn language
is innate, certainly -- I can't teach a cat English -- but that's something
else. Moreover, linguistic abilities could well be innate (god gives me the
practical know-how to speak english before I'm born) but they would not on
that account be explicable in terms of causal or natural laws. We will still
be free as a community to change the rules for the use of a word, and alter
its meaning entirely, to expand, contract and reshape language as we please.
I won't ramble on about that now...

Last thing:
 "It is aimed, rather, at the idea that we can sustain a belief in solipsism
when that depends on the ability to use language to make the claim in the
first place."

I quite like that angle, if I understand it. On the one hand, a private
language is presumably the language the solipsist assumes he has, and
such a language is shown to be unintelligible. On the other hand I'm
thinking you mean something with this kind of flavour: colour spectrum
inversion (say) is a proposal articulable only by helping onesself to
definition of colours by ref to public exemplars, which definitions the
proposal rules out as defining the same thing for you as it does for me.
Such a sceptical proposal subverts itself, because it only makes sense if it
is false. Or something like that :S

BUT ...
 With solipsism, colour spectrum inversion, and all sceptical proposals
really though, I think the important conclusion to reach is not that these
proposals are merely practically pointless (or unverifiable, or
uninteresting) but rather that they are logically senseless. If I cannot say
what I mean by a proposal then there simply is no such thing. It's not that
I can't find the words. How can a claim be true if expresses no genuine
thought? what would count as evidence in its favour? What is it, in other
words, which I claim to be beyond my knowledge? I can't say, so what gives
me the idea that there might be something?

I cannot grant the possibility of something which I claim is unintelligible,
inarticulable, precisely because I cannot coherently specify what that
possibility would look like. (what might be true?)

 Yes, we depend upon language to think about things, including solipsism.
But it's not as if there is some alternative to be considered, where we
don't depend on language to think about such things. It's not like the
solipsist's claim expresses a thought which happens to be unthinkable.
Language is not a straitjacket, or a veil which limits our vision.

better stop rambling...

 will see what I can learn about Chomsky and a possible rapprochement
between him and W (!) ....

Natalia