[Wittrs] Re: On Wittgenstein and Originality

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

.. sorry for all the typos today. I do think we have a responsibility to try to
quote people accurately when we can. Here are the corrected passages:

"For more than one reason ... what I publish here will have points of contact
with what other people are writing today. -- If my remarks do not bear a stamp
which marks them as mine, -- I do not wish to lay any further claim to them as
my property." (Monk, 413) [first preface; dashes in original]

"I was obliged to learn that my results (which I had communicated in lectures,
typescripts and discussions), variously misunderstood, more or less angled or
watered down, were in circulation. This stung my vanity and I had difficulty in
quieting it." (Monk, 413) [later preface]

[Note: he nonetheless shelves the publication of PI. This is the 1939 draft.]

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University