[Wittrs] On Time Travel (Philosophical Investigations)

  • From: Wittr2Feed <wittrs2feed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Philosophical Investigations <wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wittrs2feed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs2feed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111%2Fj.1467-9205.2011.01446.x

journal: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111%2F%28ISSN%291467-9205

Philosophical Investigations

________________________________

Why There Cannot be Any Such Thing as “Time Travel”
Abstract
Extending work of Wittgenstein, Lakoff and Johnson I suggest that it is the
(spatial) metaphors we rely on in order to conceptualise time that provide an
illusory space for time-travel-talk. For example, in the “Moving Time”
spatialisation of time, “objects” move past the agent from the future to the
past. The objects all move in the same direction – this is mapped to time
always moving in the same direction. But then it is easy to imagine suspending
this rule, and asking why the objects should not start moving in the opposite
direction. This is one way of generating the idea of time-travel “back” into
the past. Time-travel-talk essentially involves the unaware projection of
fragments of our time-talk – taken from powerful conceptual metaphors – onto
the nature of reality itself. Understanding this dissolves away the charm and
attractions of such talk.
** Note: This message was forwarded to Wittrs by the Editorial Board, so that
members might enjoy or comment upon it. This is a common practice. If the
message came from another list or rss feed, the link(s) should appear above. In
such a situation, the original author may not see your reply. Members of Wittrs
are encouraged to visit the link(s)that are fed here.