[Wittrs] Re: Minds, Brains and What There Is

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:21:58 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> SWM wrote:

> >> Anything you care to imagine.
> >
> > Why is that relevant to the question of whether and how brains
> > produce minds?
>
> If your use of the word 'minds' includes phenomenal consciousness
> then it involves a misguided attempt to account for the fact of the
> existence of the "contents of consciousness".

You've often called certain statements "nonsense" so I feel justified in using
the term in that context. Your statement above strikes me as fitting this
description, I'm afraid. How can we of mind as anything but "phenomenal
consciousness"? What other kind of consciousness is there, even if we mean just
to be aware as in to be attentive! At the bottom of it all MUST be an
experiencing experiencer. What other "contents of consciousness" can there be
than the many aspects, facets and bits of experience? This is still just going
round and round in circles.

> >> And to do so is to force experience into a category arising within
> >> it.
> >
> > This makes no sense to me.
>
> "Subjective" and "objective" are /categories/ of the
> "contents of consciousness", the union of which is
> therefore /neutral/ in that respect.

What does THAT mean? This, too, reads like mere words to me with no underlying
meaning. Can you provide one in clearer language?

> >> To point out that any attempt to account for the fact of the
> >> existence of "the contents of consciousness" is misguided.
> >
> > Again, I don't see what you can possibly have in mind by the above
> > statement. How can it be "misguided" to speak of brains as the source
> > of our minds?
>
> I haven't mentioned 'minds' but 'consciousness', and
> to be more specific, what Block calls p-consciousness.

I have said again and again and again that what I mean by mind is consciousness
and that I use the two terms interchangeably. Moreover, even the above title to
this thread makes clear that this is about minds and brains, at a minimum.

You previously accused me of wrongly complaining that you were speaking about
minds when we were talking about consciousness and noted that the thread in
question had "consciousness" in its title, not minds and I accepted that. But
now you accuse me of wrongly invoking the idea of minds even though the thread
in question explicitly refers to minds! You can't have it both ways, Cayuse.

Anyway, if you're speaking about MY use of "consciousness" THAT is what I mean,
i.e., mind = consciousness.

> >> I have a suggestion. In his paper "On a confusion about the function
> >> of consciousness" (1995), Ned Block distinguishes between what
> >> he called "access consciousness" and "phenomenal consciousness".
> >> Regardless of my conviction that this is too simplistic a
> >> distinction, we could agree that you're interested in
> >> a-consciousness and I'm interested in p-consciousness.
> >
> > That may be. Certainly we seem to be interested in very different
> > things. The kind of "consciousness" that seems to intrigue you is the
> > mystery of the first person perspective in an apparently third person
> > world.
>
> Your portrayal of my view is inaccurate.

I think ANY portrayal of your view will be because you have explicitly stated
that you are talking about something with neither grammar nor referent to guide
you. Therefore you either hold some esoteric, inexpressible view or your view
is simply incoherent because it purports to be about things it manifestly
cannot be about based on your own claims.

> If the "first-person"
> category of the "contents of consciousness" stands in contrast to
> the "third-person" category, then the "contents of consciousness"
> (being the union of those categories)

What is "the union of those categories"? Can you point to it? Describe it?
Explain it in other words? Or is it just a slogan here, for recitation rather
than explication.

> is /neutral/ in that respect.
> If these categories /don't/ stand in contrast to one another then
> what is their relationship?

What are you talking about? I note that periodically you come up with some
claims that have a slogan like nature to them and then you repeat them over and
over again throughout the discussion, relying on the precise same words and
word formations. This seems to be the case again here. What does the above
statement actually mean in ordinary language? Can you state it more plainly?

SWM

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz