[Wittrs] Re: Minds, Brains and What There Is

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:07:55 -0700 (PDT)

... Stuart, here's the way I think this quoting thing works. You count to 25.
So this one just made it (21). I don't know if you count the arrowed-lines only
or all the lines. But I just wanted to show you an example. Whenever you are
posting, you might ask yourself "do I have 25 in a row?"  (Just trying to give
you a head's up to avert a problem in the future).

(In other business, just wanted to say that the Wittgenstein Workship in
Chicago is going to give us a plug on their blog!)

Regards.

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> swmaerske wrote:
> > I am maintaining that phenomenal consciousness, the experience of
> > being a subject (having experiences) is explainable in terms of brain
> > dependence. That is, I am making the point that being a subject is a
> > condition that occurs BECAUSE of certain things brains do, things
> > that can theoretically be isolated and identified (even if that has not
> > yet been successfully accomplished). I think the distinction between
> > our views has to do with what aspect of being a subject interests us.
> > You are interested in the relation of subjectness to its "contents" and
> > want to contemplate the condition of being a subject in toto, as a way
> > of envisioning or imagining "the all".
>
> This is not an accurate portrayal of my view. We don't need to envision or
> imagine "the all" in order to understand that, where 'parts' are identified,
> /collections/ of 'parts' are also identified. We may or may not envision or
> imagine some kind of 'whole' at the limit of those collections, but it is
> not necessary that we do so in order to understand the idea of /collections/
> (and I have consistently made the claim that any such vision or image is
> nonsensical).

You say we don't need to imagine or envision it in order ...

http://mail.yahoo.com

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz