[Wittrs] Re: Minds, Brains and What There Is

  • From: "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:55:51 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> swmaerske wrote:
> > "Cayuse" wrote:
> >> I pointed out that there is a use of the word 'consciousness' that is
> >> overlooked by any empirical investigation, and that is the subject of
> >> Chalmers' "hard problem". You could at any time have expressed your
> >> disinterest in that use, but instead you have continued to engage in
> >> conversation, and so I continue to indulge you.
> >
> > Hmmm, an interesting way of putting it.
> <snip>
>
> I have a suggestion. In his paper "On a confusion about the function
> of consciousness" (1995), Ned Block distinguishes between what
> he called "access consciousness" and "phenomenal consciousness".
> Regardless of my conviction that this is too simplistic a distinction,
> we could agree that you're interested in a-consciousness and I'm
> interested in p-consciousness.

It would be nice to resolve it that way but I don't think we really can.

I am maintaining that phenomenal consciousness, the experience of being a
subject (having experiences) is explainable in terms of brain dependence. That
is, I am making the point that being a subject is a condition that occurs
BECAUSE of certain things brains do, things that can theoretically be isolated
and identified (even if that has not yet been successfully accomplished).

I think the distinction between our views has to do with what aspect of being a
subject interests us.

You are interested in the relation of subjectness to its "contents" and want to
contemplate the condition of being a subject in toto, as a way of envisioning
or imagining "the all". This certainly is a way of looking at this and has
resonance with religious, mystical and poetic insight. The fact that we have
such insights it seems to me goes a long way to explaining the occurrence and
power of things like religion in human experience.

On the other hand, I am interested in seeing how being a subject fits into the
world we envision as entirely physical and, thus, independent of our
subjecthood. I want to know how we can account for minds in terms of a physical
universe that seems to stand apart from any instance of a mind since minds
appear to be without the usual physical characteristics we expect to encounter
in physical things.

My main interest, thus, is to determine if minds can be accounted for in
physical terms. Can they be explained entirely in terms of the physical
functions of brains. This is a different question than the one that asks about
our place as subjects in the context of everything else.

> >> Because this is where metaphysical speculation (materialism,
> >> idealism, dualism, etc.) enters in an attempt to explain the
> >> existence of what is at the limit of explanation.
> >
> > So what?
>
> So there's a misguided attempt at explanation that needs light shedding
> upon it. It's perfectly fine for you to express your uninterest.

I think it's right to have said "disinterest" the first time, as you did, but
my response, as Neil correctly pointed out, should have been to speak of
whether I found something interesting or uninteresting. To have said I was
"disinterested" suggested something else because "disinterested" usually refers
to one who has no stake in ae transaction, e.g., a disinterested party in a
real estate sale stands to neither gain nor lose nor to end up with the assets
transacted on either side of the exchange.

Being "uninterested" sounds clumsier but at least avoids the locution that
suggests being a "disinterested" party as described above. On the other hand,
what I meant was clear enough in context since Neil picked up the maladroit
usage. I don't think there is anyway to speak of someone's "uninterest" but we
could capture this by the somewhat longer "lack of interest" or "absence of
interest" (where "interest" means inclination to pay attention as opposed to
payment of a fee for the service provided by a lender who has given us a
certain amount of money to use for a set period or within certain limited
circumstances, conditions, etc.).

> >> The fact of the existence of the "contents of consciousness" is
> >> incontravertible.
> >
> > What has that to do with the point that "what it is like" refers to
> > nothing, absent some additional phrase connected to it like "being a
> > bat"? There is no "what it is like" because it doesn't name anything.
> > There is "what it is like to be this or that" but this only has
> > meaning when we add the this or the that.
>
> I find the "what it is like to be me" a little more interesting,
> since the "me" is just another part of the "what it is like".
> Kind of reminds me of a Klein Bottle:
> http://www.kleinbottle.com/whats_a_klein_bottle.htm

I also find the idea of subjectness (a less awkward way of saying this, I think
(interesting). After all, how does subjectness arise in physical medial like
ourselves? How can something that looks like just so much meat be animated and
have a mental life? But these questions are scientific ones, not metaphysical
ones. That there is being, that anything exists at all are different kinds of
questions, the kind, in fact, that have no ready answers in any scientific form.

> >> I pointed out that there is a use of the word 'consciousness' that is
> >> overlooked by any empirical investigation, and that is the subject of
> >> Chalmers' "hard problem".
> >
> > Insofar as Chalmers thinks this renders the only explanation of
> > consciousness a dualist one, he is wrong on my view
>
> I agree -- he is attempting to explain what is at the limit of explanation.

My point's a little different. I am saying that we CAN explain consciousness
adequately in physical terms, not that this is at or beyond the limit of
explanation.

On the other hand, if we could not find a way to adequately explain
consciousness in terms of a physical origin or basis, then I would think that
that is at least a prima facie reason to consider questioning our default
physicalist metaphysical stance which is what science is grounded in. This
would mean that it is at least possible that some other metaphysical picture is
needed, e.g., dualism or something else. But, on my view, there is no reason to
argue for replacing our default picture with a  more complex one absent some
reason to think the default position won't suffice.

In a sense, what I'm saying is that dualism COULD be an empirical question IF
there were reason to think physicalism wasn't adequate (such as a failure to
explain all phenomena, including minds, in physical terms or the existence of
evidence of minds as stand-alone entities vis a vis brains [and equivalent
physical platforms]).

> >> <snip>

> >> But when you say "And that is all about the /contents/ [of
> >> consciousness]" the term 'consciousness' takes on a broader aspect.
> >
> > You introduced the word "contents", not I.
>
> I used a commonly adopted phrase that makes a
> questionable distinction, and I question that distinction.
> It's perfectly fine for you to express your uninterest.

My issue was to note that it is what you call "contents" that are of interest
on my view, though I generally use different referring terms for them.

> Many thanks for your comments on the passages I quoted in my reply
> to Bruce. I will give them the consideration they deserve and reply
> in due course (sadly I don't get as much time for this as you do).

That's because I'm retired. But I really should be doing other things, too,
including working on a project which has a deadline that I have now missed
three times since undertaking it. Fortunately the folks waiting for it have
been remarkably patient while I have been increasingly remiss because of my
fascination with philosophical issues and my enjoyment of such discussions as
these (even if I do become frustrated at times).

I'm rather enjoying YOUNG LUDWIG by McGuinness at the moment which is also
proving a distraction. I see no one has so far commented on what I transcribed
to this list. Maybe I'll try another passage or two and see if we get any
takers then. It's fascinating to see Wittgenstein in action as a young man,
wrestling with Russell and others at Cambridge and, of course, with himself. In
many ways this book gives us a far more detailed picture of the philosopher as
a young man than we get from Monk's The Duty of Genius.

SWM

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz