[Wittrs] Group Moderation Policy -- Seeking Help

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:49:29 -0700 (PDT)

... I'd like to get some feedback from the group.

I've placed Brendan on moderation. He hasn't violated any rules other than
trash quoting. But there is something about his participation which may not
seem helpful. I don't want to adopt a rule that limits participation for what
we might call qualitative reasons. But it does seem that a certain number of
his offerings would be better served if they weren't so ...  well ...
 enthymematic. I'm thinking specifically here of one sentence posts ending in
question marks, Jackie Chan videos, etc. It hasn't been all of the posts, of
course -- a few have generated useful discussion.

But like I say, I need help on this one. Can anyone out there lend me some
advice? I think it probably should be public inasmuch as I am seeking input at
the level of policy. What is the right thing to do? Should the list have
absolutely no qualitative considerations? Am I off base here? What rule could
be fashioned? It can't be a rule against the number of offerings (that won't be
a good rule). It must have something to do with communicating in an articulate
fashion and perhaps being cognizant of what impulses are better left not
pursued. You know, moderation wouldn't be a bad thing if it taught something
helpful. (Imagine half of the posts going back for reformulation).

What should be the policy for this? Once again, do others think that I am wrong
with thinking in this direction?

How about this? Too many "loose" or fragmented mails = penalty for too many men
on the field? Or if it badly needs rewritten, we could call a false start?

Yours grasping at straws and in great anticipation of football tomorrow.

P.S. -- I'll be in late, so I won't see this stuff until Sunday evening. Do
what you can to root for the Steelers.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University