[Wittrs] Re: Following a rule

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:43:59 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> > Do we not stop at a red light, because LW has taught us
> > that rules are not absolute? We do learn rules.
>
> I think the answer is that we invent our own meaning for the
> rules.  So we might follow what we mean by the rule, but that
> could  be different from what was intended by the rule's
> originator.  And that suggests that there is an element of
> invention in learning.

I'm not sure I'd want to call it "invention", but some kind
of implementation may be unique to us - only we know how to
do that "stop" thing specified by the red light rule, when it
is applied to us.

> > Nature follows rules, a lot, even such simple parts of
> > "the rules" of nature that our science has given us.
>
> There, I disagree.  Part of why I disagree is the issue of whether
> scientific laws are prescriptive or descriptive.  And part of my
> disagreement is the issue of whether causation should be
> considered  the same as following rules.

I spoke in a misleading shorthand.  Stricktly speaking, I don't
hope to know exactly what nature is or is not doing, but if I
follow certain rules, I will find nature doing what I expected.

> > Well, look, any machine is built - to follow rules.
>
> And there, I disagree.  A machine is built so that in acting as it
> does by virtue of physical causation, it does what we want it to
> do.  I don't see that as any kind of rule following.

I suggest looking more closely at the operation of a computer,
at the hardware level, and at the program level.  Interestingly,
these can be exchanged for each other, but interestingly, not to
an unlimited degree (almost, but not quite).

Josh

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs