[wisehat] Wise Hat News #6

  • From: "Wise Hat News" <news@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisehat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 00:32:15 +0900

Wise Hat News #6

The online version is available at:

1. Happy 2004
2. Correspondence
3. Part Two
4. What's New?
5. Part Two and a Half
6. Administrivia

1) HAPPY 2004

** "No one has a right to consume happiness without producing it."**

I'm not going to wish you a happy new year. There's very little that's new
about it. The United States aided by Britain continue to wage war on
terrorism and by doing so enshrine terrorism as a holy cause. Talk of WMD
and rogue states is still taken seriously in the mainstream media but only
applied selectively. It's never linked with real events, real arsenals and
actual arms expenditure.

Meanwhile it remains a truism that regardless of which economy is doing well
the people are doing badly. Trade talks in Cancún, Mexico collapsed this
September as the United States aligned itself with the European Union in
refusing to end farm tariffs or as the New York Times editorial of December
30 put it: "their economic weapons of mass destruction". And so the
developed world continues to shovel subsidies of $1 billion a day to its
farmers, or perhaps more accurately, corporations engaging in farming.

On top of this the Kyoto Accord established in 1997 and intended to cut
carbon dioxide emissions is still in doubt. Ratification hangs on Russia and
the Russians are trying to wring as many concessions as they can before
signing. Already agreement has been reached that allows genetically
engineered trees to be grown and act as carbon sinks which in turn will
reduce the level of cuts countries will have to make. This, despite the fact
that only 1% of emissions can be stored in forest carbon sinks. Kyoto aims
to have emissions by developed countries reduced to 5.2% below 1990 levels
which doesn't seem much but according to Reuters is seen by the US as a
"regulatory straitjacket that will harm industry and economic growth". The
US is the World's largest polluter (responsible for 25% of total emissions)
and refuses to sign.

It may be hard to solve the problems of the World but it isn't difficult to
see that the actions and attitude of the United States Administration is
dangerous. The mayors of London and Hiroshima think so. Ken Livingstone,
Mayor of London has described President Bush as the "greatest threat to life
on this planet that we've most probably ever seen". Tadatoshi Akiba, Mayor
of Hiroshima has issued a call to action:

"The time has come to impose economic sanctions on any nation that insists
on maintaining nuclear weapons. The time has come to use demonstrations,
marches, strikes, boycotts, and every nonviolent means at our disposal to
oppose the destruction of millions of our brothers and sisters, the
destruction of our habitat and the extermination of our species. The time
has come to fight, nonviolently, for our lives."

[For the full text of his speech go to

So if you are going to make a resolution for 2004 consider taking economic
action and if you feel like signing a pledge to help strengthen your resolve
there's one at:

There's also the Torn Cloth. Details at:

Happy 2004. Happy resistance. Happy Action

** "Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success
that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you
will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming
obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is
ever lost."**

The last issue prompted a very interesting email. Here it is together with
my response:

Dear Chris,

As always you touch on many points in your newsletters and I have some
difficulty getting my head around some of your ideas, of course, you have
been thinking about them for weeks or months before putting them down on

I was thinking about the idea of discipline after my junior high school
class yesterday evening. I felt that we got very little work done because
there was so much Japanese spoken in the classroom. We had five students
yesterday and four of them chattered incessantly, but the fifth was quiet
and withdrawn, she may be the nail that you spoke about, yet if all the
students had been quieter and not spoken Japanese, she wouldn't have been
withdrawn and we would have all learnt more English during the lesson.

I believe that at an early age there are more situations that require a
child to have that "external authority" but as the child matures and gains
in wisdom and experience, then there are fewer and fewer situations in which
an external authority is necessary, but there seems to be a gap in time
between release from an external authority and the required level of
"self-discipline". Perhaps, it is because of a lack of freedom in school
life or in home life, that these children lack self-discipline. There is no
easy way out of the situation, the children come into the relative freedom
of my classroom and abuse the freedom and the easiest way for me to control
the situation would be for me to abuse my authority. Sometimes it's a
Catch-22 situation. I'm not sure if the girl who was "quiet and withdrawn"
is the nail that is sticking up, or the nail that sits in place. I suspect
that she was the one showing self-discipline.

Just some thoughts I had, while skimming through your e-mail.

David Lisgo

Dear David,

Thank you for thoughts, they in turn are thought provoking. I'd like to
include your letter in my next newsletter if I may. I agree that we are
often in a catch-22 situation. I think the idea of freedom and licence is
very important. I agree that you surely more English would have been learnt
if the students hadn't been chatting in Japanese. In away they were abusing
you and perhaps the quiet girl. You were all there to learn English yet
their behaviour was disrupting that goal. Assuming that they have chosen to
do English with you their behaviour really makes no sense. Of course, if
they are their under duress then their behaviour is perfectly
understandable. So I really do think that free choice is important. But with
choice comes responsibility. At Summerhill students are free to attend
lessons or not but if they attended a lesson and then disrupted it the other
students would probably call them up before the general meeting. A friend of
mine has a school in Greece and there any student or the teacher can call a
mini meeting within the class. For example if a student thinks the activity
is boring they can stop the class and share their opinion with others. The
class will then come to a consensus and decide what to do which might be
some new activity or the original activity or perhaps the original activity
modified in someway. The point is that both teachers and students have the
freedom and accordingly the responsibility to take action in a lesson.

No-one need be passive.

I'm not sure I agree that younger children require "external authority".

Obviously adults need to be aware and protect very small children from
activity that is dangerous. And of course adults have vastly more experience
and can foresee the consequences of actions that children cannot. But I
think it's important for children to discover the relationship between their
actions and the consequences. That is practising freedom. I think that self
discipline comes through experiencing freedom.

I agree that teachers in the private sector often have a problem. If we give
'free choice' then either the children have no idea what to do with it or go
berserk. At Summerhill children often go through a stage of wildness when
first given autonomy. This is acceptable within a community like Summerhill
which can cope with such behaviour and has the resources and time to deal
with it, but for the teacher in a private school meeting students just once
a week the situation is very different. I'm still working on how to give
children freedom but prevent a class from becoming destroyed.

As for getting your head around some of my ideas - I have the same problem!

Sometimes what I really want to say slips away or turns out differently. Yet
only by putting it down on paper and reading people's reactions can I get
closer to what is on the edge of my perception.

Thanks again, best wishes,

** Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the

"I also read your newsletter over lunch. Honestly speaking, it made me want
to go home. A little bit depressing in the sense of nothing we do making a
difference. What is wrong with the current structure? doesn't inspire hope
or optimism or faith in my ability to make changes, although connecting with
other people who feel the same way, or feeling that more and more people are
becoming aware does. I hope part two will list some of the things that you
are doing, or ideas for what we could be doing to make even some small

Alison Miyake

Thinking about what Alison wrote led me to the Website Zen stories to Tell
Your Neighbors. There are some interesting stories at this site and all of
them have the virtue of being short. One Story is called Two Words. Here's a
link. You might like to read the story before continuing.

The story is about a strict monastery where monks are only allowed to speak
two words every 10 years. What struck me when reading the story is that the
head monk is not restricted by the rule. I find this inconsistent.

I'm very wary of remarks about human nature. Often they are made to deny or
ridicule ideas or limit thinking to support the existence of affairs as they
are. As an experiment next time you hear someone talking about human nature
you can check and see what can of action those words are supporting or
suppressing. My guess is the result will be restrictive..

But these remarks aside I do think that inconstancy is pretty integral to
human nature. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a survival trait. But I
think if there were just one thing we could do to improve things it would be
to increase consistency. I'm not thinking on a personal level but at a
structural one. I think that allowing institutional inconsistency is

So if the United States wants other countries to submit to weapons
inspections we should demand the same compliance from the United States. If
the European Union wants developing countries to remove tariffs it should do
the same. If nations are going to forgive Iraq debt (as the US would like)
then perhaps all debt for poor countries should be forgiven.

These examples are large and abstract and the reason I'm mentioning is not
because we can do anything individually about them but because we can use
these issues and issues like them to train our minds. We can learn to demand
consistency from government and from other institutions and we can spread
this learning. The more more people demand institutional consistency the
harder it will be for those with power to confuse us. The harder it will be
for them to act and the harder it will be for them to get what they want.

Knowing what you want is important.

It's not enough to be against something. It's important to develop vision
and create alternatives. I think one of the downfalls of progressive
movements is that they spend too much energy on resistance and not enough on
renaissance. To use the prison analogy a lot of time is spent fighting the
prison warden and his guards and not enough on dismantling the prison. I
think a better balance is possible.

There are many great ideas. History is full of them. We need to be more
consistent in applying them. For example, democracy is a much-touted idea.
Yet what is it really and how much does it permeate through our daily lives?
And if it is such a good idea why is it that most workplaces are
undemocratic? Why are they so hierarchical? And why are most educational
institutions hierarchical. Why aren't schools and classrooms democratic?

So why not spend some time identifying Institutional Inconsistency and then
do what you can to reduce it. A New Year's Revolution perhaps?

** "The welfare of each is bound up in the welfare of all." **

Resolutions - A worksheet to help student make resolutions to learn more

The Cage - a story about monkeys

Get Out Of Jail Free - A handout by David Hough. With two PDF files to

Think Tank Piece (ELT News) Testing - Do You Do Tests?

I was surprised by the amount of response this provoked on the ETJ General

Think Tank Piece (ELT News) Poetry - Surely You See that?

Vampire Castle - a chase and escape boardgame for reviewing vocabulary

** Knowledge is happiness, because to have knowledge -- broad, deep
knowledge -- is to know true ends from false, and lofty things from low. **

As a wrote to David Lisgo what I want to say sometimes slips away. Sometimes
I don't even know it's gone. Keeping and sharing awareness is accordingly
important. Also examining one's own actions for inconsistency and when
necessary sharing the findings.

I mentioned democracy above but how much democracy can I say exists in my
own classroom. Do I even know what democracy is? If a teacher gives choices
to students is that really democracy or just an element of it? I'll have
more to say about that another time because what's in my head right now are
questions about violence and non-violence.

I like to think I'm against violence. But if I'm against violence why do I
sometimes lose my temper? Why do I get angry with the news I see on
television? Why do I sometimes use violent language? Even my writing which
is usually considered can be considered violent (this was at least one
person's feeling about some of my prose in 'Do You Do Tests?').

Perhaps violence is more pervasive than generally imagined. Arun Gandhi
founder and president, of the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence has some
interesting comments about this. They are worth quoting at length:

"One of the many things I learned from grandfather is to understand the
depth and breadth of nonviolence, and to acknowledge that we are all violent
and that we need to bring about a qualitative change in our attitudes. We
often don't acknowledge our violence because we are ignorant about it. We
assume we are not violent because our vision of violence is one of fighting,
killing, beating, and wars - the type of things that average individuals
don't do.

To bring this home to me, grandfather made me draw a family tree of violence
using the same principles as are used for a genealogical tree. His argument
was that I would have a better appreciation of nonviolence if I understood
and acknowledged the violence that exists in the world. He assisted me every
evening to analyze the day's happenings - everything that I experienced,
read about or saw or did to others - and put them down on the tree either
under "physical" (if it was violence where physical force was used) or under
"passive" (if it was the type of violence where hurt was more emotional).

Within a few months I covered one wall in my room with acts of "passive"
violence that grandfather described as being more insidious than "physical"
violence. He then explained that passive violence ultimately generated anger
in the victim who, as an individual or as a member of a collective,
responded violently. In other words it is passive violence that fuels the
fire of physical violence. It is because we don't understand or appreciate
this concept that all our efforts to work for peace have either not
fructified, or the peace that we achieved was only temporary. How can we
extinguish a fire if we don't first cut off the fuel that ignites the

Preface to "Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life" by Marshall
Rosenburg. Here's a link if you would like to read more:

The reason I'm thinking about nonviolence at the moment is because one of my
classes is violent. By mutual agreement and enjoyment a class of two boys is
engaging in killing. Killing I helped to set up. I'm talking about a fantasy
role-playing game.

Recently I began giving questionnaires to some of my classes of elementary
aged children. I wanted them to choose how to learn English and what topics
to learn with. One class of two boys wanted to focus on reading and writing
English with fantasy as a topic. I however wanted them to include speaking
and listening as well. So we hit upon a plan of playing a fantasy
role-playing game. Each of them has a character. Each character has certain
skills and we use dice to determine what happens in a given situation. Dice
are obtained by writing words. The rules are still in development but we
seem to have a 'hack and slash' game. They go adventuring, look for
treasure, look for monsters and kill them. Typical fantasy role-playing.

But isn't this inconsistent with my beliefs about peace? Why did I set this
up? Why did I make this game?

I have various thoughts. I wanted to try role-playing with the boys because
I wanted to get them to focus more on meaning. I wanted to get them to try
doing something in English rather than studying it. That was my assessment
of what would help their English to improve. Fantasy did capture their
emotional interest.

Violence is where they are. In the past I've mentioned the NLP idea of
Pacing and Leading. In English lessons this means going where the students
are first before attempting to go somewhere else.

My plan if we keep with the fantasy role-playing game is to introduce
situations which aren't so black and white as good people vs evil monsters
and see how they respond. I'll let you know.

In the back of my mind there are some thoughts about the structure of our
belief patterns and how they are reflected in the structure of our
institutions. I guess they will wait for Part Three. I hope you won't have
to wait two months for it. We'll have to wait and see.

You can subscribe and unsubscribe from this Wise Hat News by visiting here

the subject line 'subscribe wisehat'

the subject line 'unsubscribe wisehat'

Comments, questions, submissions and suggestions are welcome. Please email

"## The highest result of education is tolerance. ##."

(Quotes this issue by Helen Keller)